Fan not working

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gbobucsfan

Original poster
Feb 21, 2022
Bought the 560 - already assembled. Was looking to do a seasoning/first time use. I filled the hopper, pulled the slides, lit my firestarter, let burn for 3-4 minutes. Turned the grill on, set to 250 and nothing. The temp went all the way up to 133 degrees without the fan ever coming on. All wires seem to be connected correctly. Any tips on this?

Only other thing that I know to try is to see if a piece of charcoal is stuck in the fan.

If every thing seems to be hooked up correctly check your switches one at a time. Open the lid and hold the switch down manually to see if the fan comes on. Then repeat the process to the hopper. And Ash door.
Are you getting any error codes?

Reactions: negolien
Wasn't getting any error codes until about 10 minutes after lighting the starter. Was getting an Err 4, "charcoal not lit".

I went out on my lunch break and manually checked the sensors. The ash door sensor clasp wasn't tight even to "hold" the sensor. Tightened that clasp and we are in business boys. Good amount of smoke during my first 60 minute seasoning, less smoke now during the 30 min burn. Thanks 912, you rock !!!

Yes sir glad you're up and smokin' again !
I have to 1050 and have worked thru most issues. They are great machines and produce some great Q !

Keith

did a quick once over, found some "issues" but luckily, nothing serious. I didn't check the manifold though. First cook was everything I wanted it to be. Chicken breasts, thick pork chops and filets. Everything was much juicier than gas grill. A touch of charcoal flavor but nothing overpowering. Looking forward to mid-70's this weekend. Grill on boys (and gals)!

did a quick once over, found some "issues" but luckily, nothing serious. I didn't check the manifold though. First cook was everything I wanted it to be. Chicken breasts, thick pork chops and filets. Everything was much juicier than gas grill. A touch of charcoal flavor but nothing overpowering. Looking forward to mid-70's this weekend. Grill on boys (and gals)!
Glad to hear that and that you first cook turned out as anticipated.
I add a double layer of foil on top of the heat manifold to ease cleanups. Form a lip with the edges to hold any juices .
Really helps keeping things clean especially when grilling chicken !

Keith

I bought my 1050 from Home Depot and they offered me a pre-assembled one -- hell no. You could tell by looking at it that it had been thrown together by someone who really didn't give a damn.

The switches have been the source of all of my problems so far, specifically the ash bin switch.

I agree with giving everything on the smoker a good once over, who knows who put it together.

Bought the 560 - already assembled. Was looking to do a seasoning/first time use. I filled the hopper, pulled the slides, lit my firestarter, let burn for 3-4 minutes. Turned the grill on, set to 250 and nothing. The temp went all the way up to 133 degrees without the fan ever coming on. All wires seem to be connected correctly. Any tips on this?

Only other thing that I know to try is to see if a piece of charcoal is stuck in the fan.
this happened to me too, however the weird thing was i never got an "open" beep on the panel when the hopper or ash door was open. if i manually closed those circuits the fan still wont come on. My fire was just burning away and no fan to push the heat into the grill. im at a loss and have no clue why the two sensors on the hopped and ash catch arent working right and even when they are open i get no "open" message but the fan still doesnt come on. i had to rent a truck and pay someone to help me get it home i cant afford to keep renting a truck to exchange these things. please can someone help

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble but let's see if we can sort this out.

Are you getting any error codes ?
Is the fan wired correctly ?
Did you pull the slides ?

Keith

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble but let's see if we can sort this out.

Are you getting any error codes ?
Is the fan wired correctly ?
Did you pull the slides ?

Keith
no error codes yes the slides are out. its brand new and i have never got the fan to turn on. and like i stated its werid that when the hopper and ash box are opened there is no beep or "open" message on the panel like there is when the main lid opens. Is this standard? i assumed no matter which one of the three doors is opened it would trigget the beep and "open" message. it came pre assembled so im not sure if its wired right. i tried comparing it to the manual and it looks right

Not sure it there's a beep or not.
Have to tried pressing the switch in to see if the fan comes on ?

Keith

This is what was happening to me as well. It's almost like the very first time you DON"T get a beep or error message.

A couple things.
Process of elimination:
Manually press the ash bin switch, lid switch and hopper switch in.
Are you able to set the temperature?
Stupid question, but do you have the lid closed?

this happened to me too, however the weird thing was i never got an "open" beep on the panel when the hopper or ash door was open. if i manually closed those circuits the fan still wont come on. My fire was just burning away and no fan to push the heat into the grill. im at a loss and have no clue why the two sensors on the hopped and ash catch arent working right and even when they are open i get no "open" message but the fan still doesnt come on. i had to rent a truck and pay someone to help me get it home i cant afford to keep renting a truck to exchange these things. please can someone help
I'm glad you got it sorted. I was a lucky one that bought pre-assembled from HD. since my left side is stroke disabled, it probably would have brought on another stroke assembling msyelf. I had one switch issue on the bin lid. some electric litium gease and afew pushes, and nothing since.

Wasn't getting any error codes until about 10 minutes after lighting the starter. Was getting an Err 4, "charcoal not lit".

I went out on my lunch break and manually checked the sensors. The ash door sensor clasp wasn't tight even to "hold" the sensor. Tightened that clasp and we are in business boys. Good amount of smoke during my first 60 minute seasoning, less smoke now during the 30 min burn. Thanks 912, you rock !!!
Glad you got it sorted and you're enjoying it. Pre-assembled are a recipe for disaster lol. Make sure to post a thread and pics for your cooks bud. Congrats and welcome to the madhouse
madhouse.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky