Family tradition.. eggplant!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nah just in the pantry.. cool dark place, dont keep it in the fridge or the olive oil will congeal

Yeah, the reason I asked was for the same reason that JJ posted - it did not sound safe. In fact, even fridge temps are not generally advised for garlic in oil any more.

I have been thinking about this recipe as it sounds so good. I will try blanching the whole garlic cloves and herbs for 60 seconds in 275 degree oil. This will barely cook the surface of the garlic and the heat will break cell walls in the herbs releasing their fat soluble flavors. I will chop the garlic and herb and add them with the cooled blanching oil to the jar. The blanching should not have a huge impact on the garlic punch as a good bit of it will still be raw, but sanitized. Opening up the herbs should result in the whole jar getting flavored Faster than adding everything raw...JJ

Reactions: natej
I have been thinking about this recipe as it sounds so good. I will try blanching the whole garlic cloves and herbs for 60 seconds in 275 degree oil. This will barely cook the surface of the garlic and the heat will break cell walls in the herbs releasing their fat soluble flavors. I will chop the garlic and herb and add them with the cooled blanching oil to the jar. The blanching should not have a huge impact on the garlic punch as a good bit of it will still be raw, but sanitized. Opening up the herbs should result in the whole jar getting flavored Faster than adding everything raw...JJ

Mighty fine idea! I'm going to try it myself that way.. thanks for the tip sir!

I know that eggplant in oil has been implicated in botulism outbreaks in Italy. Now, low pH inhibits growth, and also lowers the temperature needed to kill the spores, but I don't know if boiling the eggplant in vinegar will completely kill the spores. Chili peppers can also contain spores. So I'm not sure if blanching just the garlic and herbs is enough.

Agreed, the chiles need to take a bath with the garlic. The biggest risk is with plants that contact the soil. Garlic and Onions have the highest risk of contamination. Low bushy Herbs next and so on. The Eggplant with it's waxy skin is likely the lowest risk of bringing spores to the party and absorbs some vinegar during cooking maintaining an inhospitable low pH as a food source...JJ

Reactions: natej
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky