Fajitas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I like to use a jerk seasoning when I make them, I also love Chorizo added even if only salt and pepper on the meat

Reactions: joetee
Looking for a home made fajita spice recipe and hoping to be able to use tri-tip because that's what I have.

It sure does! When I do fajitas I marinade the meat with
Juice from 3 limes
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 cup of orange juice
1c cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 jalapeño minced
And 2 TBS white vinegar
Let it marinade for 12-24 hours and either grill it or if I do it in the stove top I’ll mix in some of the marinade while I cook it. I have two picky kids and a wife. And everyone tears it up. I also use the same for flank steak tacos.
If doing it on the stove too, I would just marinade it and then cut it into little slices before cooking it that way the little pieces can pick up some more of the flavor!

It sure does! When I do fajitas I marinade the meat with
Juice from 3 limes
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 cup of orange juice
1c cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 jalapeño minced
And 2 TBS white vinegar
Let it marinade for 12-24 hours and either grill it or if I do it in the stove top I’ll mix in some of the marinade while I cook it. I have two picky kids and a wife. And everyone tears it up. I also use the same for flank steak tacos.
If doing it on the stove too, I would just marinade it and then cut it into little slices before cooking it that way the little pieces can pick up some more of the flavor!
That's great. Thanks. So if I grill the steak, I'm assuming I grill it whole and then cut it up after?

When it comes to fajitas, I had an old friend from the oil field give me 5-S plan I use every time:
Season (SPG for me)
Smoke
Sear
Saute (with the veggies)
Serve
This sounds exactly what I was looking for something simple thank you.
At what IT should I smoke the Tri Tip to?

Last edited:
Just did some TT fajitas. We didn’t smoke them, just stir fried them with mushrooms, jalapeños, poblanos & some Mexican cheese on top. Just used fajita seasoning while stir frying them. Good stuff, just make sure to slice against the grain & slice it as thin as you can. At least that’s the way we like them.
Al

This sounds exactly what I was looking for something simple thank you.
At what IT should I smoke the Tri Tip to?
I would say that all depends on what y'all prefer. Just remember to factor in the sear and sauteing when it comes to overall doneness. For me, I just prefer a clean bite. Nobody likes taking the first bite and the whole fajita coming out with it. So I smoke to 130° IT, sear it on a raging hot fire to get some of that maillard reaction, slice it pretty thin (1/4" max) and then saute it with the veggies towards the end of the veggies being done.

Reactions: joetee
I made the fajitas today. Oh my god they are great. Everyone loved them.

Just over 3# tri-tip meat.
Night before:
Trimmed off fat.
Applied SPG. 2, 2, 1.

Applied Worcestershire
Applied Black seasoning.
Put meat on.
Smoke at 225 until IT is 130°.

1 hour later
IT 130-132.
Seared it over hot open fire for 10 minutes.

Slices up meat against the grain.
Cut up 2 green bell peppers, 2 red bell pepper. 2 onions.
Stirred in some olive oil.

Put veggies on griddle.
When 1/2 done, added meat.
When nearly done added some worcestershire.
Continued to stir fry until done.
Placed everything in large bowl.
Added salt, pepper, lime juice, and worcestershire to taste.

Amazing good. Tender.
Just a hint of lime.

Reactions: Preacher Man
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky