Extreme cold and windy weather questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hangmanli

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 2, 2017
Long Island, NY
hey fellas,

I’m fairly new to smoking and I’ve had a Bradley digital Smoker for the the past five or six weeks.

I’ve done some somesummer sausage, Bologna, and currently trail Bologna

I started half of a 25 pound batch of trail bologna yesterday. This morning I tried to finish the rest of the trail bologna. I got an “E1” error message. After researching the error code they said it could be a plug wiring problem. All the connections seemed to be tight.

The digital display upon powering it up read 32°F. I assumed that that must have something to do with the problem. So I decided to bring the smoker inside to warm it up.

That seemed to work and I put it back outside on the covered/screened porch
And it is running now.

I realized that under extreme cold weather and windy conditions The smoker takes quite a while to get up to temperature. I know that there are modifications that can be made including a more powerful heating element. I probably will eventually do something like that.

Bradley advises leaving the top vent wide-open. But I figured with the windy conditions and cold weather that I would close it halfway. I’m not sure if that is right or wrong?

How do you fellas operate your smokers in extreme cold and windy weather conditions? Are there any special considerations or practices?

Thanks!

hey fellas,

I’m fairly new to smoking and I’ve had a Bradley digital Smoker for the the past five or six weeks.

I’ve done some somesummer sausage, Bologna, and currently trail Bologna

I started half of a 25 pound batch of trail bologna yesterday. This morning I tried to finish the rest of the trail bologna. I got an “E1” error message. After researching the error code they said it could be a plug wiring problem. All the connections seemed to be tight.

The digital display upon powering it up read 32°F. I assumed that that must have something to do with the problem. So I decided to bring the smoker inside to warm it up.

That seemed to work and I put it back outside on the covered/screened porch
And it is running now.

I realized that under extreme cold weather and windy conditions The smoker takes quite a while to get up to temperature. I know that there are modifications that can be made including a more powerful heating element. I probably will eventually do something like that.

Bradley advises leaving the top vent wide-open. But I figured with the windy conditions and cold weather that I would close it halfway. I’m not sure if that is right or wrong?

How do you fellas operate your smokers in extreme cold and windy weather conditions? Are there any special considerations or practices?

Thanks!

My MES has more power than a Bradley, so I don't have that problem.
However when it's below 20°, my MES doesn't get used, because it's too Dang cold for this Old Bear.

Yes, when it's windy I cut my top vent back to Half open, so the wind doesn't suck the heat right out the top vent.

If you have trouble getting her started again, when cold, I've heard a Hair Dryer can be a big help.

Bear

Reactions: hangmanli
Some Mes owners that get a ERR cold code use a hairdryer or put a pan of boiled water below the sensor to warm it up. I can barely get the slider open to get to the smoker. Negative double digit temps keeps me from running in and out. I use this 6 or 8" dia. PVC coupling to keep wind from going into the top vent as well as sucking the heat out. It's heavy, round and hasn't budged in heavy gusts. Since it's open on the bottom it doesn't create a drafting effect and the Mes handle keeps it on the smoker being at the right rear corner. Even using it as a quick temporary stand for a baking sheet with food on it. The vented heat/smoke comes out the bottom of the coupling. I've been using it for a year. I looked up the Bradley's and the vents appear similar.
20170320_143215.jpg
20170320_143220.jpg

Reactions: petehalsted
I keep my top vent open on my MES and I don't' have issues smoking in cold temps. I did a pork shoulder Monday in the single-digits (farenehight) and it held temps beautifully. I like the windy conditions because it disperses the smoke for me as it comes out of the smoker.

I like it, yet something else I can use PVC for. I hear some people even use PVC for plumbing, but I am to busy building gadgets and dodads with it.

I’ve never gotten that error code on my Bradley. In the dead of winter, I typically don’t hot smoke anything that needs heat over 200 degrees because of the heating issue.

When I had my MES, I had used mine down to -7 what I would do to help with the wind was set a 6' step ladder over the smoker and wrap a tarp around it to cut the wind. I used spring clamps to hold the tarp on and when I needed to open it was pretty simple to do. My wife thought it made our back deck already filled with smokers look more white trash but she sure didn't mind eating pulled pork and brisket in January either. Wish I had taken some pics of the set up. Wasn't pretty but was effective.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Here in RI it is forecast to have a high temp of 8 with winds up to 25mph.I just turned on the MES and its heating up as I type.Gonna throw a pork loin on it today.

EA16BBF8-B8CE-4275-BDAD-AF96D3BDE562.jpeg
First smoke on the Camp Chef and it’s 4degrees here. I used a packing blanket on the lid and the temps are holding between 215-240 degrees. I know some folks swear by the welders blankets to hold in heat as well. Good luck!

When I had my MES, I had used mine down to -7 what I would do to help with the wind was set a 6' step ladder over the smoker and wrap a tarp around it to cut the wind. I used spring clamps to hold the tarp on and when I needed to open it was pretty simple to do. My wife thought it made our back deck already filled with smokers look more white trash but she sure didn't mind eating pulled pork and brisket in January either. Wish I had taken some pics of the set up. Wasn't pretty but was effective.

Great Idea with the Step ladder& Tarp!!!
Kinda like a wigwam.---Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky