Exhaust stack redo?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
Here is my smoker I built. Works pretty well I can maintain temps and produce pretty good q with it. Stack about 12 tall 3
Diameter. Draws great with no issues.
15399024448031254262604818168169.jpg
Here's my problem. The overhang was added to all four side couple months ago after the smoker was in place and now I'm blacking it up. I don't want to move the smoker back since I have some protection from the rain.
15399025137441512242919378909434.jpg

Here's my solution if you guys think it will still draw fine. Roughly 3 up, 19 over @ 45°, 14 to 16 up again all 4 inch diameter pipe. Let me know your opinions. This will clear my over hang putting the exhaust roughly 2 inches above it. I know its adding 24 or so inches of length but adding another inch in diameter.

Last edited:
Something like that would probably have to be a trial and error... make a temporary one out of the 3"and/or 4" dryer duct... and see what happens ...

I would put a 6 in pipe just above the top of the stack (only need an inch or less gap above) and go through the roof. There should be enough heat to make it draw through the 6 in. Put a cap on the 6 in to block rain. Positioning may require trial and error.
Every bend you put in the stack increases restriction by 15-20% if I remember my wood stove installations.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky