Exhaust Stack (Chimney) Volume

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smaloof

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2016
Georgia
OK, maybe a stupid question, but my exhaust stack will be inserted into the cooking chamber. My question is does the volume start on top of the cooking chamber, or does the entire volume of the pipe (including the portion inside the chamber) account for the volume? I am ready to make my cut on the pipe, but worried about making an incorrect cut length.

Great info. Thanks. About how many inches did your stack go into the cc?
Mine is also a 250 gal tank. I was planning on about 14 inches.
As you could see in my thread, I cut the hole in the tank where the radius began on the end. From the flat top surface to the top of my pipe is 42". The pipe itself was 49". 
As you can see in this pic, I cut the end of the pipe at an angle greater than 45 degrees and it is only about an inch below the top flat surface of the tank so that the smoke would not build up too much. Hope this helps.

Thanks for helping me out on this. I also inseted my chimney a couple of inches. Dave also had a great idea about inserting a sleeve of rolled thin steel and trying different depths.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky