Exhaust question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Matto2494

Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Hi all,

Firstly I’m in love with this site! So much knowledge rolled into one place!

I have a question about my first UDS build.
Exhaust vents in lid

How many? Just holes?
I have seen multiple different ideas. The one I had in my head was 4 1” conduit nipples with 45° angles. I’ve now found an exhaust port which is 2 inch diameter and a close able vent on top.

What do you guys recommend.

Many thanks

Before I started using a weber dome lid on mine, I only used the existing bung hole that was in the removable lid. I did put a piece of pipe with a "T" joint at the top part of the pipe. If forget the size it takes. It worked just fine. When I moved to the Weber dome lid, the existing vents in the lid worked out equally as well.
BarrelPitt.jpg

Black steel piping will mate perfectly to the existing bung threads. I simply use a pipe screwed into the bung. You may have to play with different lengths to get the draft right

Reactions: danbury
My drum didn’t have a bung in the lid, it’s a solid lid with the clamps that go round the rim to lock it shut.
I will need to fit what ever I choose to put on top.
I have attached the picture of the one I was thinking of fitting. Anyone used one like this?

Attachments

• 74212B3E-71FC-47A0-8329-F0D6D39B6F76.png
    74212B3E-71FC-47A0-8329-F0D6D39B6F76.png
    419.9 KB · Views: 36
I gotcha now. Well you could simply pick up a flange that fits the same size black steel pipe then. Should be the same thread count and you could screw right into it with no welding required. I would screw the flange to the list and then use red RTV to seal. Idk if welding directly on the lid would warp it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

My bung threads a 2.5" pipe by stock, but on a day with little or no wind I often have to set a longer piece of PVC I have laying around over mine to increase the draft on the "chimney". My chimney length is 7". So adjust yours or not as you see fit :-)

An example of what I'm talking about. Ignore the size.

https://images.homedepot-static.com...ries-black-pipe-fittings-310-f-38-64_1000.jpg

Reactions: Razyr Sharpe
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky