exhaust and vent help please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

handyandy

Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Hi all.  I am starting a pellet conversion build on an old electric smoker i scored cheap at auction.  I will be using a smoke daddy pellet pro hopper.  This unit is stainless steel, double wall.  I have disassembled it to clean things up and remove the old insulation and wiring and to re-insulate.  This is because the unit had apparently caught fire - grease and wiring. 

I plan on using roxul insulation to re-insulate.  Now i am looking for exhaust and air vent options.  What has anyone else used?  This is a double wall unit so i would like to find some type of pass through or "start collar" unit for the ducting to keep the insulation sealed from the food chamber.  I would like to use stainless steel but aluminum would work.  Any ideas?

Also where to place the exhaust vent?  The unit currently has a very small - 1"x3" stack in the center of the top.  I could use this existing hole and continue out the top but am concerned that the heat and smoke will just go right out the top. 

Here's the candidate:  an old "texas smoke roaster".  Apparently they have been out of business since the 80's 

It has racks that hang from the sides like a fec100 unit and is 24x24x48 inside.  

Thanks for the help!

Talk to the owner of smoke daddy he was a great help. I love my unit but my smoker was a tad big. I'm moving it into another smaller fridge build.

What did you end up going with for the exhaust on this? I'm building a unit with similar internal volume and the smoke daddy pellet pooper and need to decide on my exhaust...

Hi
Hi all. I am starting a pellet conversion build on an old electric smoker i scored cheap at auction. I will be using a smoke daddy pellet pro hopper. This unit is stainless steel, double wall. I have disassembled it to clean things up and remove the old insulation and wiring and to re-insulate. This is because the unit had apparently caught fire - grease and wiring.

I plan on using roxul insulation to re-insulate. Now i am looking for exhaust and air vent options. What has anyone else used? This is a double wall unit so i would like to find some type of pass through or "start collar" unit for the ducting to keep the insulation sealed from the food chamber. I would like to use stainless steel but aluminum would work. Any ideas?

Also where to place the exhaust vent? The unit currently has a very small - 1"x3" stack in the center of the top. I could use this existing hole and continue out the top but am concerned that the heat and smoke will just go right out the top.

Here's the candidate: an old "texas smoke roaster". Apparently they have been out of business since the 80's

It has racks that hang from the sides like a fec100 unit and is 24x24x48 inside.

Thanks for the help!

Hi HandyAndy / Tommyrob, What did you end up doing on the Chimney/exhaust of your builds? I've also recently got my hands on a similar unit, I can't decide on where what and how the chimney should be positioned, Leaning towards directly out the top of the unit?

Hi

Hi HandyAndy / Tommyrob, What did you end up doing on the Chimney/exhaust of your builds? I've also recently got my hands on a similar unit, I can't decide on where what and how the chimney should be positioned, Leaning towards directly out the top of the unit?

Because of the two door with dead space in the middle of the cabinet style of mine I did a couple of 3 in tubes with 1.5ish inch holes that lined up with shelf locations, leading up to a 6 inch pipe that runs out the top back.

In the temp variation tests I’ve done, there was only a couple degrees difference between the shelves top to bottom or outside to inside.

I am in the process of adding a helper fan with a Venturi in the rear stack to try and draw a bit more cool ambient outside air in around door “seals” because when it’s really hot outside and the sun shines on my smoker it holds temp too well and the pellet feeder has gone out a couple of times.

Sorry about the picture quality, it’s sitting in the corner of the garage right now...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 51
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky