Excess grease when storing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

windycitysmokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Chicago
I smoked an 8.5 lb butt last night, about to pull it now! It will be too much for just my gf and I. I have a vacuum sealer and was going to seal some 1lb packs to give to her aunt and uncle who wanted some, and freeze the rest for ourselves.

My question is about the orange grease the solidifies when cooled. It doesn't bother me but a lot of people find it unappetizing. What is the best way to get rid of some of the excess without it leaving the reheated meat too dry?

Thanks,

Put your pan juice in a jar in the fridge. As it cools the fat separates from the juice. Scrap of the top layer of fat and below you will have "pork jelly". I add a couple big tablespoons to each vac bag before I seal. Then when you reheat you have all that good pork juice minus the fat
20200105_150619.jpg

20200105_151937 (1).jpg

When you re-heat that flavorful "grease" will probably vanish into the meat and keep it moist, or you can do what TNJAKE suggested. I've never tried that. Fat doesn't bother me.

I use a strainer as soon as the shoulder is done....while the juice is still hot, or at least warm. This handy device makes it simple. The fat will separate after a few minutes.....just squeeze the handle and the juice flows out the bottom. I add the juice to the pork while I’m pulling it. This strainer works well for other things too.

Attachments

• 28B7D85A-41AB-430B-B796-A52E90E88AFC.jpeg
    28B7D85A-41AB-430B-B796-A52E90E88AFC.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 82640A74-90B1-419C-9F78-2E88B7D8348F.png
    82640A74-90B1-419C-9F78-2E88B7D8348F.png
    425.9 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: chopsaw
Put your pan juice in a jar in the fridge. As it cools the fat separates from the juice. Scrap of the top layer of fat and below you will have "pork jelly". I add a couple big tablespoons to each vac bag before I seal. Then when you reheat you have all that good pork juice minus the fat

Good idea, will try that.
When you re-heat that flavorful "grease" will probably vanish into the meat and keep it moist, or you can do what TNJAKE suggested. I've never tried that. Fat doesn't bother me.

that fat doesn't bother me either. My gf doesn't like when it looks all orange and gelatinous covering the meat. I'm going to do as TNJAKE suggested.

Thanks guys

Reactions: TNJAKE
In addition to keeping some of the de-fatted foil juices in the shredded meat, you can also freeze some apple juice, or Coca Cola until slushy and add a tablespoon or two to each bag. I also add a little salt and a finishing rub to the meat before bagging. I like re-heating in the bags, either with sous vide, or a Nesco roaster so it's nice to have the meat moist, seasoned and ready to go.

I use a strainer as soon as the shoulder is done....while the juice is still hot, or at least warm. This handy device makes it simple
Sure does , and fast to use right away . Use mine for all kinds of things .
You can see how it separates , fat floats to top , then let the good stuff out the bottom until you get to the fat . I do it same as Jake too . Just depends on what I'm doing .
20180423_184924.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky