Evolution of A Bear & His Cabinet Shop

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I truly enjoy all your posts and this last one is a dandy. Stay close to family and friends and God Bless.

I love your stories, and especially those about craftsmen. Tell us another!

My dad was a second generation South Dakota carpenter during the Depression era with grandpa and my uncle. They got tired of the grasshoppers eating the barn, so they moved to the west coast to build Army camps before WWII. Kind of ironically, they both became science teachers after the war, building houses during the summers. Grandpa kept building houses and barns, then kid toys as he got older.

I started out working on Hueys and CH46’s as a civilian A&P mechanic in the states. I guess working with your hands is a genetic thing. I prize the tools I have from my dad and grandpa. Some of them get used every day on my projects.

Keep sharing!
Thank You Smoke!!
Another Story??
OK---Here's a Short one:
One time I built a nice Oak Kitchen for an elderly woman, living in an Old Stone Farm-house. I got the job from her Grandson, who I knew from seeing him at The Spinnerstown Hotel, which has a lot of my cabinets throughout the Kitchens, Dining Rooms, and Bar.
I built her cabinets, and everything that goes with it, including countertop, Toe Kick cover, Back-splash, Trim, etc.
Then I got two guys to install it, and we delivered it to the house before their installation day.
I went there on the day they started, to see how it was going, and if they needed anything. They said they had run into a problem, and wanted to know what to do about it. They said when they pulled the corner Base Cabinet out, there was a 4' Snake Skin under it, and there were some holes in the stone walls, down around ground height.
I told them to fill all the holes with water-plug (DRYLOK), and don't say anything to the Lady, until I get back to them. They said she already knew they found something, but they didn't tell her yet, and she thinks it was just a dead mouse.
So I talked to her Grandson, and he agreed, it would be better to tell her they found a couple dead mice under the cabinets, than a 4' Snake skin.
So we told her we found a couple dead mice, and plugged up all the holes in the walls.
I also told her that if anything ever did get in from the back, they could never get out from under my cabinets, because everything will be sealed up, including toe kick cover over all of the toe kicks.
That snake was probably scouting the house during the night, and going back under the old cabinets before day time. I guess it's good she never saw it !!!

Probably not one of my best stories, but it's the first unusual one that came to mind.

Bear

Last edited:
Thank you for the post, Bear.

I knew from my little bit of reading here that you are top-notch.
Its nice to read some of why you are regarded as such.

Cheers.
Thank You for those Kind Words, TH !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Thanks for sharing. It's cool to see where you have come from, especially since you have so much great contribution to the site!

You keep posting whatever you want brother. I don't always comment on all posts these days but I often check out most new posts as I come across them.
Thank You Tall !!
Appreciate that !

Bear

Bear I just read this. We have a lot in common from volunteering for the draft, Vietnam, agent orange, heart stuff and starting our own businesses. You have my respect not just from your tutorials I've followed for many years but for our similarities on life's path.

Bear I just read this. We have a lot in common from volunteering for the draft, Vietnam, agent orange, heart stuff and starting our own businesses. You have my respect not just from your tutorials I've followed for many years but for our similarities on life's path.

Thank You Fshr!
And a Big Welcome Home to you!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky