ET 73

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokezilla

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
port huron mich.
Does any one use there ET 73 in cold weather (20 degrees) I just got mine.  I just use a cheap cheap probe mainly during winter months but would like to use ET 73 if I could

icon_cool.gif

Well we don't get that low very often here in North Fla but. I do have a Mavrick thermo probe unit and I use it no matter the temp or the weather. Now I keep them in and under cover from the weather and they seem to be working right nicey. The only thing that I would complain about is the coverage for the wireless unit.

you will be fine using it. I have a ET 72 and use it all year round. Even in the snow.

thanx for the info guys, I plan on using it all year round too now that i know some one else did, I have not used it on a smoke yet, but have tested it for temp and range and it works really good, thanx again

Should be fine for the length of time it would be out.  Also, it will be next to a warm smoker so that should help keep it above freezing.  The thing is don't leave anything with an LCD out when the temperature drops below 0 F.  I've ruined a digital caliper (similar display to the ET-73) by leaving it out over a NY winter and when I went to use it again, the display didn't work ever again.  So when you're done, bring it back inside.

Since it is the transmitter and you are not going to be looking at it unless you are out at the smoker why not put it into a glove to protect it. Does it really take a Cali boy to figure this out LOL

Thanks for the answers,  Scarbelly,  should that be a wool or thinsalated glove,  what color should it be,  should i heat the glove or unit up to keep it warm ?  I only went to college for six years, LOL, just messing around with you man,  I thought about a glove but couldn't find one long enough to cover wires all the way to my smoke chamber,  LOL   thanks for the info

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky