ET-73 data to a laptop

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

357mag

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Piedmont Triad of NC
Does anyone know how to transmit the data from the RediCheck to a laptop? It has got to be possible since it is transmitted to the remote receiver.

wouldn't you still be looking at the same limit on range?  I know there are mods for this Therm to increase the range of the  transmitter and reciever, can you add an antenna to the usb?

My Therm is a Wally World cheapo and wont transmit to my front porch ( may be a tree issue ).

Nevermind! took a look at the links on google and now see the reciever has an antenna already built in.

Last edited:
You can hook whatever size antenna to the receiver and/or mod the ET-73 to increase range.  To be honest, though, this project would be far more expensive than it's worth, IMO.

You can hook whatever size antenna to the receiver and/or mod the ET-73 to increase range.  To be honest, though, this project would be far more expensive than it's worth, IMO.
You have to get one of them there talking therms. Then attach two tin cans on the ends of a wire. Keep the one near your ear, and the other one near the talking therm. Careful nobody trips over the wire. They still make tin cans??? Maybe aluminum beer cans will work---we all have a few empties laying around---If not, make some empty---This is the fun part anyway.

Electronic genius Bear

You have to get one of them there talking therms. Then attach two tin cans on the ends of a wire. Keep the one near your ear, and the other one near the talking therm. Careful nobody trips over the wire. They still make tin cans??? Maybe aluminum beer cans will work---we all have a few empties laying around---If not, make some empty---This is the fun part anyway.

Electronic genius Bear
John

I just tried the beer cans - I had a few dozen laying around - I mean neatly stacked
icon_redface.gif
 and they did not work - I kept getting a message to consume more beer and all will be well
icon_mrgreen.gif

Guys Guys the trick is you have to pull the rope tight between the two cans. If the rope isn't tight the voice will not travel to the other can. hahaha For some reason that is one thing I can remember from my electronics class in college. hehe

After looking at what it would take to get this done, it doesn't seem financially feasible. It would be a great idea though.

Since you already have a receiver to process the transmitted signal, why not just intercept the data in the existing receiver on its way to the display. It's slam dunk simple to do something like that. Maybe all you really have to do is put a USB interface on it and build a decoder table in software. For no more than this you could use Visual Basic for the code and a Cypress USB 2 chip for the hardware. Or even one of the many USB2 development boards out there. Having used it before for some projects, I know the Cypress chip is super easy to use and the hard part of the software, the driver, is done alreayd. 

http://www.beyondlogic.org/usb/usbhard2.htm

Don't know why anyone would really want to do this though. It seems to be of marginal value to only a few folks at best. Even I, a retired EE don't see a need or have the urge or motivation to do it. I just want the Q, to hell with all those numbers.  

Quote:
<snip> 

Don't know why anyone would really want to do this though. It seems to be of marginal value to only a few folks at best. Even I, a retired EE don't see a need or have the urge or motivation to do it. I just want the Q, to hell with all those numbers.  
Simple answer here Dick is the Geek Factor. I'd show this thread to my nephew ( a self proclaimed Geek) but then he'd wander around looking like a love struck calf just thinking about building code and receiver ports. He'd never get around to doing his chores and I really don't need the sis-in-law mad at me (again) for filling his head with (more) ideas.
biggrin.gif

It just sounds like something to try and see if I could do it.  Last weekend I was tempted to bring home a handful of gear from work and temperature map my MES.  Why?  I am not really sure, maybe because I could.  I ended up not doing it that weekend, but I still might.  I work in a test and validation department and write code/test stuff all the time.  That and it might keep me out of other trouble I would otherwise be getting into....

Sheer genius! I like it. And it works so well with the KISS principle too. Were or are you an engineer?

Not an engineer, just a good guesser!

I do like the idea of intercepting the data on the existing receiver.  But that sounds like the fastest way to let the smoke out
icon_lol.gif
and turn my new toy into a brick.  The reality is that if I don't jump on this quick I will forget about it and just start getting into trouble.  Which reminds me, I need to figure out something to smoke this weekend.

Yep ya gotta do everything possible to keep the magic smoke in. Lectic stuff just won't work at all without it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky