Essential Tools for Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

generalee

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Marietta, GA
Is there a basic list of tools one needs for smoking?

I have a Char Griller Outlaw with side firebox, 14" tongs, long fire gloves, 3 seperate thermometers, meat therm, oak, hickory, and pear, etc...

I see mention in several threads about the bear claw for pulling pork. Where do you get this from?

Are there any other essentials?

I think it would be a good idea to start a thread and make it a sticky and leave it at the top of the appropriate category.

If this is in the wrong area, please feel free to move it to the appropriate.

Thanks
Lee

Lee -

I think it's a good idea. I would probably have put it in the general discussion area, but a sticky is probably a good idea for newbies.

I would add that you should aways keep a fire extinguisher nearby
a spray bottle to spray apple juice or whatever mixture you use
maybe a mopping brush
and lots of spices!

I've got these big forks that look like pitchforks I bought from Pampered Chef but I can't find the link to them. They work great for shreading and carrying big meats. May have to just take a picture.

i have a variety of spices; i use kitchen tools (tongs, knives, etc). i have a poker i keep by the smoker. i have my meat thermometer i always use. i just got new toy to use also- a save-a-meal vacuum sealer (rival brand).

Thanks for the replies. Good tips. I'll be picking up what I am missing

Maybe, I'll repost in the general discussion area.

Thanks Again!
Lee

U forgot BEER!
PDT_Armataz_01_30.gif

Welcome Lee,

Lump charcoal is helpful,neoprene food handler gloves for brisket/pork butt, lots of aluminum foil & plastic wrap(wide variety on both), assorted sizes of aluminum pans. The save n seal vaccum sealers are great for the leftovers. I am sure there are other items I have left out.

Les

Shell -

Those are pretty close I think my tines are a bit closer though. Grea for tuning briskets and pig butts!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Les -

How did I forget the wrap? I'm always running low on one or the other!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky