ERR 2 with my MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Question. This mod removes the controller and turns the unit simply into a toaster. My question revolves around the separate wood-burning element. The controller, at present, allows you to vary the intensity of the smoke element from off to 5 with 5 being the highest.

I looked on the masterbuilt website and couldn't find an MES40 that has a separate wood chip burning element. No matter, electricity and heating elements are simple.

I have not personally looked at your model of smoker but my guess is that the current wiring runs power to that chip element just like the main heating element.
The dial switch is what controls it to be on and at what power level (1-5).

Not having torn one of those apart to investigate I would bet money you would be ok even with the rewire.
My other guess is that if they did any additional wiring for that chip element, that it would likely be wired in at the same spot where the simple rewire happens.
After all, the spot where the simple rewire happens is the area where power comes in from the power cord and is then distributed to all other areas of the MES.
If there are separate wires there for the chip element, you just wire nut splice them into rewire change you are already making.

In this case power would go from plug to heating element AND to chip element.
Here is a rough wiring diagram to give you the concept. It is literally this simple of a wiring:
1638908363610.png

Oh I almost forgot. Even if you lose the wood chip burning element there is a far superior approach to provide smoke. Almost all of us MES guys use it.

There is the A-Amaze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray or tubes.
They burn wood pellets or wood dust to produce perfect Thin Blue Smoke with no fooling around with it once it's going!
The tray will produce smoke for up to 12 hours, again no fooling with it. The tube is like 3-4 hours.
A bag of wood pellets lasts FOREVER so cost of wood is low.

So now you can abandon feeding chips every 30-45 minutes!!!!!
Want to smoke a pork butt or a whole packer brisket? Set it all up and let it go over night while you sleep. Use a digital remote thermometer and set alarm to tell you when to check if the meat is tender and done, or to alert you if a flame up has happened and the smoker got too hot, or if the power or smoker is failing and the temp gets too low. In any case you sleep and the alarm lets you know what to do next.

Guys who don't do the rewire still use an AMNPS. You lose nothing if you lose the wood chip burning element so I wouldn't worry about it. None of us have a wood chip burning element and we produce out of this world BBQ all the time.... in my case often while sleeping like a baby :D

Here is a picture of the AMNPS so you know what I'm talking about:
a-maze-n-pellet-smoker-review-7__76620.1558865773.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker
I looked on the masterbuilt website and couldn't find an MES40 that has a separate wood chip burning element. No matter, electricity and heating elements are simple.

I have not personally looked at your model of smoker but my guess is that the current wiring runs power to that chip element just like the main heating element.
The dial switch is what controls it to be on and at what power level (1-5).

Not having torn one of those apart to investigate I would bet money you would be ok even with the rewire.
My other guess is that if they did any additional wiring for that chip element, that it would likely be wired in at the same spot where the simple rewire happens.
After all, the spot where the simple rewire happens is the area where power comes in from the power cord and is then distributed to all other areas of the MES.
If there are separate wires there for the chip element, you just wire nut splice them into rewire change you are already making.

In this case power would go from plug to heating element AND to chip element.
Here is a rough wiring diagram to give you the concept. It is literally this simple of a wiring:View attachment 518454

Oh I almost forgot. Even if you lose the wood chip burning element there is a far superior approach to provide smoke. Almost all of us MES guys use it.

There is the A-Amaze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray or tubes.
They burn wood pellets or wood dust to produce perfect Thin Blue Smoke with no fooling around with it once it's going!
The tray will produce smoke for up to 12 hours, again no fooling with it. The tube is like 3-4 hours.
A bag of wood pellets lasts FOREVER so cost of wood is low.

So now you can abandon feeding chips every 30-45 minutes!!!!!
Want to smoke a pork butt or a whole packer brisket? Set it all up and let it go over night while you sleep. Use a digital remote thermometer and set alarm to tell you when to check if the meat is tender and done, or to alert you if a flame up has happened and the smoker got too hot, or if the power or smoker is failing and the temp gets too low. In any case you sleep and the alarm lets you know what to do next.

Guys who don't do the rewire still use an AMNPS. You lose nothing if you lose the wood chip burning element so I wouldn't worry about it. None of us have a wood chip burning element and we produce out of this world BBQ all the time.... in my case often while sleeping like a baby :D

Here is a picture of the AMNPS so you know what I'm talking about:
View attachment 518455
Mes 440S and 430S. On amazon the 40 is unavailable and a person was looking for a new wood chip/chunck burner sensor. MB said they don't have the part and to look at factory parts because this newer Mes is now obsolete. Wonderful.
Masterbuilt MES 440S Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker, 40"

Mes 440S and 430S. On amazon the 40 is unavailable and a person was looking for a new wood chip/chunck burner sensor. MB said they don't have the part and to look at factory parts because this newer Mes is now obsolete. Wonderful.
Masterbuilt MES 440S Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker, 40"
Thanks dr k dr k I just looked at it on amazon.

I'd abandon that little wood burning element nightmare of an idea and just wire that elemnt into the heating element rewire hahaha. Doing so would give 1350W of heating element overall.
I'd remove all but the top cover of the houseing for it.

Then I'd get a 3"inch hole saw and cut a hole into the door of that thing and make a mailbox mod + AMNPS and be off to the races.

What seems really troubling to me is that I couldn't find it on Masterbuilt's site under the "400" series section. I'm guessing they are done with it and it is discontinued so I would simplify the thing so that it ran forever just like we are suggesting now :D

Too bad everyone around me thinks their mes 40s are worth $150 to $200! I'd like to find one in the free to $40 range.

Ryan

Reactions: tallbm
Thanks dr k dr k I just looked at it on amazon.

I'd abandon that little wood burning element nightmare of an idea and just wire that elemnt into the heating element rewire hahaha. Doing so would give 1350W of heating element overall.
I'd remove all but the top cover of the houseing for it.

Then I'd get a 3"inch hole saw and cut a hole into the door of that thing and make a mailbox mod + AMNPS and be off to the races.

What seems really troubling to me is that I couldn't find it on Masterbuilt's site under the "400" series section. I'm guessing they are done with it and it is discontinued so I would simplify the thing so that it ran forever just like we are suggesting now :D
This also has the double top vents with a heavy duty broiler ceiling, an optional broiler element with it's own limit snap disk and a rotisserie. Haha. This is the colossal money pit POS series. All kinds of people had problems with the 150 watt independenr chip/chunk burner with five settings and it's own sensor. Setting 1 for chips and 2-5 for chunks. I'm with you on the 3" hole saw for the mailbox mod but two more connectors and the 150 element in circuit with the 1,200 to fail, I'd probably get it all out so just the main bottom 1,200 element is used. Haha Looks like the right would still be a little warmer anyway. Dang! What was MB thinking?

Too bad everyone around me thinks their mes 40s are worth $150 to $200! I'd like to find one in the free to $40 range.

Ryan
Right! Keep looking. FB Marketplace has deals to. Found a free Mes 30 with a bad limit switch I bypassed with a wire nut since my pit therm is set to a range if temp gets too low or high for an alert but don't really need it with the Mes 40 and PID. I do use it for small cooks.

Right! Keep looking. FB Marketplace has deals to. Found a free Mes 30 with a bad limit switch I bypassed with a wire nut since my pit therm is set to a range if temp gets too low or high for an alert but don't really need it with the Mes 40 and PID. I do use it for small cooks.
Yep I have a small mes 30 analog that I use with an auber pid thanks to tallbm tallbm And all his help! He is very knowledgeable and helpful.
One thing to keep in mind...I believe most of the issues with masterbuilt customer service started with the pandemic and since not being able to find enough help. Before that I called and got through to them on my 1st try and they were very helpful. From here in Iowa to western South Dakota I doubt I walk into a place of business that doesn't have a help wanted sign hanging. But I do know how frustrating it can be.

Ryan

Someone here suggested that I buy a heating element off Amazon or wherever and I can still use the smoker. I like that solution. Can someone explain it more clearly?

Helen we (most of us) don't think it's the element. As others have said, sounds like the controller and Tallbm has supplied lots of details on how to bypass the smoker's stock controller allowing you to plug your smoker into a Auber PID controller. IronDogJCH says the above mod turns the smoker into a toaster. Yes, but that's only part of the mod. You then need another controller such as the Auber PID. Those wired together, gives you a very nice and effecient smoker. Perfect for your Salmon. :-)

To you and IronDogJCH, what are the model numbers of your smokers? Wish you were near by.

Last edited:
Please stop acting like that is easy for someone who has never dealt with wiring, has no equipment, and is going to figure this out completely with no experience whatsoever over a website thread. It's extremely unrealistic and almost insulting.
I understand your frustration, but it really is as simple as allowing these guys to help you and following their instructions. It's a simple cut and splice job.

Yep I have a small mes 30 analog that I use with an auber pid thanks to tallbm tallbm And all his help! He is very knowledgeable and helpful.
One thing to keep in mind...I believe most of the issues with masterbuilt customer service started with the pandemic and since not being able to find enough help. Before that I called and got through to them on my 1st try and they were very helpful. From here in Iowa to western South Dakota I doubt I walk into a place of business that doesn't have a help wanted sign hanging. But I do know how frustrating it can be.

Ryan
MB needs to have an outgoing message on their phones saying to go to their FB page and messenger them to be transparent. It's the only way to get a response that day.

Ryan
That sucks. Don't worry some will be availale here soon. People will get new ones for Christmas and give away or toss out their old ones which will be awesome to have for free and rewire for a PID.

Mine was free on Craigslist with a dead controller. Yeah Baby!!
Yep got one for my mother for $40 off Craigslist and one for my brother for $50 off Craigslist.
Best MES in the world is one for free that died on someone and the element is still good. Just 4 snips and 2 wire nuts + the PID and it's BBQ heaven!

This also has the double top vents with a heavy duty broiler ceiling, an optional broiler element with it's own limit snap disk and a rotisserie. Haha. This is the colossal money pit POS series. All kinds of people had problems with the 150 watt independenr chip/chunk burner with five settings and it's own sensor. Setting 1 for chips and 2-5 for chunks. I'm with you on the 3" hole saw for the mailbox mod but two more connectors and the 150 element in circuit with the 1,200 to fail, I'd probably get it all out so just the main bottom 1,200 element is used. Haha Looks like the right would still be a little warmer anyway. Dang! What was MB thinking?

Oh wow lots of crap for MB to allow to fail hahaha.
I would wire in the top broiler too and have heat from both directions!!!
Can you imagine how fast a 3 element MES would come up to temp and how easily it could recover or power through colder temps!!! Hahaha.

Also broil... cmon their insulation won't handle too much operation over 330F. You need like 500F+ temps to broil something like in the oven hahaha.

I wouldn't turn down a free or "broken" one though. I'd splice all those elements into the same rewire and they would all heat up at once and the PID controller would do it's thing.

Helen we (most of us) don't think it's the element. As others have said, sounds like the controller and Tallbm has supplied lots of details on how to bypass the smoker's stock controller allowing you to plug your smoker into a Auber PID controller. IronDogJCH says the above mod turns the smoker into a toaster. Yes, but that's only part of the mod. You then need another controller such as the Auber PID. Those wired together, gives you a very nice and effecient smoker. Perfect for your Salmon. :-)

To you and IronDogJCH, what are the model numbers of your smokers? Wish you were near by.
MES 430G, M/N MB21076819.

Yes, I understand. and I have the optional top broiler, which I've turned on, maybe twice, for finishing one of Jeff's Ham & Cheese Fatties.

I'm curious about this 3" hole mentioned. Would this be for the wood chunks/chips? Because this unit has a small flip down door built onto the side that directly accesses the smoke element for adding the wood. It's a small, self-contained little box that physically sets beside the primary element,

Yes, I understand. and I have the optional top broiler, which I've turned on, maybe twice, for finishing one of Jeff's Ham & Cheese Fatties.

I'm curious about this 3" hole mentioned. Would this be for the wood chunks/chips? Because this unit has a small flip down door built onto the side that directly accesses the smoke element for adding the wood. It's a small, self-contained little box that physically sets beside the primary element,
The 3 inch hole would be for doing the mail box mod

20210201_140735.jpg

Which in this pic the amnps is sitting on top of the mailbox. But it gets filled with pellets, lit, and placed inside the mailbox...giving you up to 9 to 12 hours of smoke.

Ryan

In the regular MES (non-400series) there is a chip feeder tube that fits into a pre-cut 3 inch hole. The tube allows you to put wood chips into it. Then you shove the tube into the MES and turn it to drop the chips on to the chip burning plate and the chips will smoke.

Many of us MES guys toss the chip tube away and build a mailbox mod like what Brokenhandle Brokenhandle shows. We use a 3 inch aluminum elbow duct that fits perfectly into the the chip tube hole.
The AMNPS tray gets lit, blown out, and then put into the mailbox and generates smoke that goes into the MES, up and out!

A number of guys put the AMNPS tray directly into the AMNPS as well.
I had too much trouble doing that so opted for the Mailbox Mod (MES30's have more trouble than MES40's as well).
Plus I liked the idea of having the smoke manageable without having to open my smoker AND when pellet flame ups happen I can handle things more easily, flame ups happen at times with wind gusts and such and my remote thermometer lets me know if my smoker gets up over a certain temp so I just go and knock out the flame up and get the pellets smoking normally again.

Many different kinds of mailbmox mod styles exist. Here's mine:
full.jpg

if the chip chunk burner is good and a bad sensor, you can make a power cord with 16 gauge cord put on high heat connectors on hot and neutral and an eye circle lug on the ground wire. Disconnect stock wires to the wood element connect hot and neutral power cord wires to the element and tighten eye lug to one of the access screws to ground chassis. Plug into a variable speed router 15 amp from harbor freight so it's on or off or on the variable dial to control smoke. You can do it for the top broiler element as well with another power cord and get another controller or unplug the one for wood and plug into the broiler power cord. Then do no back removal or another power cord for the PID controller for the bottom main element if bypassing all MB wiring. Run top element or bottom element one at a time on the same circuit. You can find the variable controller on amazon and walmart I believe.

Last edited:
Looking at the details of IronDogJCH smoker, I do question if it is wired in similar manner as our Gen1 or Gen2 smokers. Is there a cover on the bottom? Is there a cover on the back down towards the bottom?

And as I typed the above, dr k has provided some detailed options for IronDogJCH

Last edited:
Looking at the details of IronDogJCH smoker, I do question if it is wired in similar manner as our Gen1 or Gen2 smokers. Is there a cover on the bottom? Is there a cover on the back down towards the bottom?

And as I typed the above, dr k has provided some detailed options for IronDogJCH
There are accesses all over the place to all three elements. I'd burn chunks with the stock wood element before the mailbox mod like the cookshack, smoken it and smoken tex weighing out 6 oz of wood or so for something different.
Screenshot_20211208-101814_Word.jpg

I downloaded the manual for this model and it shows the bottom main element and top element are tapped for screw terminals, lock washer, regular washer an eye lug on each wire. The wood element appears to use the standard female spade lugs on our models. Accesses to rollout limit switches. This looks like easy work to bypass everything.

My smoker is a Masterbuilt MES440/S

I am afraid I can make neither heads nor tails of the technical description/language explaining what a "PID" is, how it works, how it is used, or how I would figure out which one to get or how to implement it.

I am looking for an explanation in layperson's terms. Otherwise the info is not useful in my case.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky