Enchiladas Carnitias con Guacamole...... or

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Another great thing to do with leftover pulled pork! Take that PP and chop it up some, mix it up with a little chili powder, add a touch of cayanne, you got some Mexican carnitas sittin' right there on the board.
DSCN1466.JPG

Start chopping up some onions and have some diced peppers ready to go, mix it all up with some Mex colby-jack cheese. chopped black olives, and some medium hot salsa.
DSCN1465.JPG

I like to toss the tortillas into the micro on high for 12 seconds each before I fill and roll them, makes them a bit more pliable and they don't bust
DSCN1468.JPG

Today I felt like green chili sauce for the enchiladas, sometimes I like red, always medium heat. Cover the enchiladas with sauce, then cover that with the shredded cheese
DSCN1471.JPG

That goes into a 325º oven for a hour while I make up some guac with 3 avocados, a little sour cream, and some salsa. All this is easy to do and will taste a lot fresher than most microwave Mexican restaurants, AND, you don't have to sweat getting sick from the kitchen help not washing their hands after leaving the bathroom. I know, disgusting, but it happens all too often.
DSCN1472.JPG
DSCN1474.JPG

I didn't get the enchy's shoveled out perfectly this trip, maybe I'll do better the next couple of days, they're even better leftover. Thanks for looking! RAY

I was wanting to do half and half, all they had in red was mild or hot. One thing I forgot to mention, I got the three cados for 19¢ each, and they were perfect! I found great sales today, got $34 worth of chow for $13 and change. I'm kind of a skinflint when it comes to wasting dough on food. RAY

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
That green sauce and chicken is my favorite enchi la la Nice job.

Reactions: sawhorseray
LIKE Another "could eat it every day family" here... Good job Ray! Especially love the black olives. It's 8am and I am staring at that whiskey... :emoji_laughing:

While enchiladas originate from Mexico, the versions we eat are actually American food, Tex Mex. The reason I mention this is we love this style and I bought several highly rated cookbooks for "Mexican" and we were always disappointed with the results. Years later I got gung ho and researched heavily and discovered what we like is actually Tex Mex. Got a Tex Mex cookbook and have been in love ever since. IE In this book enchiladas are made with corn tortillas that are fried before baking.

Way to go Ray!

We love Mexican/TexMex here also. As you know my wife is a northern Cali girl and she was raised on the stuff. Me it is an acquired taste for sure. If we ate Italian and Mexican all week it would suit us just fine....

It looks fantastic and I bet it tasted good too....

BIG LIKE!

John

Looks really good on my screen. We're still newbies to cooking Mexican foods. It's been a up and down journey but we're getting there.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you all for the kind comments and likes, I truly do appreciate them. I had a couple left that wouldn't fit into the dish. Later on I'll pan fry them up in some veg oil and have carnitas flautas, there's plenty of guac left, pair it up with a Rolling Rock or two. RAY

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
LIKE Another "could eat it every day family" here... Good job Ray! Especially love the black olives. It's 8am and I am staring at that whiskey... :emoji_laughing:While enchiladas originate from Mexico, the versions we eat are actually American food, Tex Mex. The reason I mention this is we love this style and I bought several highly rated cookbooks for "Mexican" and we were always disappointed with the results. Years later I got gung ho and researched heavily and discovered what we like is actually Tex Mex. Got a Tex Mex cookbook and have been in love ever since. IE In this book enchiladas are made with corn tortillas that are fried before baking.

Now it's just after eight here and I'm looking at that glass myself. I hear you about frying then baking, did that a few years back using corn tortillas. I like corn tortillas on occasion tho someone on my staff seems to think they are too dry. The thing with corn torts is I have to dip them in hot oil before rolling them up or they split, it's gets messy, and hot to handle. RAY

Ray I can not read the label on the green can.
View attachment 429095
I bought the wrap already Richie

That says "Green Chile Enchilada Sauce" Richie. You can also make them with red enchilada sauce, or both if you like. The important thing to look for will be a tiny red thermometer on the side of the can that will indicate mild, medium, or hot in regard to how spicy hot the sauce is. I always go with "medium" on the sauce, green or red, and also on the salsa I buy. You may want to start out with a sauce and salsa that state "mild". Stay away from the "hot", the Scoville Factor on that will have your mouth burning up and eyes watering. One little trick when rolling the tortillas with the filling in them is to heat each tortilla in the microwave for 12-15 seconds, it makes them more pliable and less likely to split. Any questions just give me a holler Richie, enjoy! RAY

Reactions: tropics
That says "Green Chile Enchilada Sauce" Richie. You can also make them with red enchilada sauce, or both if you like. The important thing to look for will be a tiny red thermometer on the side of the can that will indicate mild, medium, or hot in regard to how spicy hot the sauce is. I always go with "medium" on the sauce, green or red, and also on the salsa I buy. You may want to start out with a sauce and salsa that state "mild". Stay away from the "hot", the Scoville Factor on that will have your mouth burning up and eyes watering. One little trick when rolling the tortillas with the filling in them is to heat each tortilla in the microwave for 12-15 seconds, it makes them more pliable and less likely to split. Any questions just give me a holler Richie, enjoy! RAY
Thank You
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky