Enchilada Sauce For Pizza?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ashy97

Original poster
Dec 11, 2020
Hey Guys,

I was planning on cooking chicken enchilada pizza for new years. I was following an online recipe and it said that I would require red enchilada sauce. I was going through this review (https://piacipizza.com/best-canned-enchilada-sauce/) and liked the 'Old El Paso Red Enchilada Sauce', but since I don't have any experience with enchilada sauce and don't know what to expect, I was hoping to get a few suggestions from you guys.

Thank You.

Reactions: JLeonard
We use the OEP when making enchillada casserole. Its good, I dont see why it wouldnt work. Its a bit thinner than pizza sauce, but give it a go and let us knownhow you like it.

I put this recipe together a year and a half ago or so. It looks involved but it's actually very easy and quick to put together. Very rich, complex, and authentic flavors. If you're willing to put a few minutes into making your own, this is very good.

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons flour (whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and gluten-free flour blends all work!)
1 tablespoon ground chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon guajillo pepper
1 teaspoon ancho pepper
½ teaspoon arbol pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

This sauce comes together quickly once you get started, so measure the dry ingredients (the flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt and optional cinnamon) into a small bowl and place it near the stove. Place the tomato paste and broth near the stove as well.

In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, warm the oil until it’s it’s hot enough that a light sprinkle of the flour/spice mixture sizzles on contact. This might take a couple of minutes, so be patient and don’t step away from the stove!

Once it’s ready, pour in the flour and spice mixture. While whisking constantly, cook until fragrant and slightly deepened in color, about 1 minute. Whisk the tomato paste into the mixture, then slowly pour in the broth while whisking constantly to remove any lumps.

Raise heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, whisking often, for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened a bit and a spoon encounters some resistance as you stir it.

Remove from heat, then whisk in the vinegar and season to taste with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. Add more salt, if necessary

Of course you can sub different Mexican peppers if you're missing some of them. You can also get sets of them cheap from Amazon that have all 3 of the ones mentioned.

Robert

If you use the old El Paso I would pot it on the stove and reduce by about half for a pizza sauce. Its very thin....that beeing said I think if your going to go through all that you might as well give. tx smoker tx smoker Roberts recipe a try! I think it sounds awesome so I'll be giving it a go soon!

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
I agree with cooking down the OEP enchilada sauce. Digging the whole chicken enchilada pizza idea. Now that I'm thinking about it you've given me a thought on chicken quesadillas with enchilada sauce...
Good luck

Sounds like they have ya covered! But definitely take pics and share... it sounds tasty!

Ryan

I wouldn't rely on a website review site like that. There is probably a name for that but is just Amazon info/links.

I have several Tex Mex cookbooks and have made scratch a few times but admit good canned stuff is as good or better. We tried a bunch and prefer LaVictoria. Also, green chili plays way better with chicken if you ask me. I like the idea to reduce but would probably just go easy on the sauce and save it mostly for dipping.

Appreciate the help guys, I'll buy a bottle of the canned enchilada sauce and try making the one at home using the ingredients txsmoker txsmoker provided. I'll get to compare them first hand, wish me luck!

Look for LaVictoria brand like suggested above . That's the one I buy as well . Also like the green better than red with chicken .
If I do a Mexican themed pizza , I'll spread a thin coat of refried beans on a par baked crust . Then add the sauce and the toppings .

A Ashy97
This is my go to sauce when I don't feel like making it from scratch.
It comes in Hot, Medium and Mild, I use the Medium which just has a touch of heat. I like spicy food, but my wife can't take the heat. So I just stick with the Medium then add pepper sauce too my plate.
You can find it in any grocery store here in CA.

Good luck and take pictures your pizza sounds very interesting.

Dan

1609411304568.png

I put this recipe together a year and a half ago or so. It looks involved but it's actually very easy and quick to put together. Very rich, complex, and authentic flavors. If you're willing to put a few minutes into making your own, this is very good.

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons flour (whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and gluten-free flour blends all work!)
1 tablespoon ground chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon guajillo pepper
1 teaspoon ancho pepper
½ teaspoon arbol pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

This sauce comes together quickly once you get started, so measure the dry ingredients (the flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt and optional cinnamon) into a small bowl and place it near the stove. Place the tomato paste and broth near the stove as well.

In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, warm the oil until it’s it’s hot enough that a light sprinkle of the flour/spice mixture sizzles on contact. This might take a couple of minutes, so be patient and don’t step away from the stove!

Once it’s ready, pour in the flour and spice mixture. While whisking constantly, cook until fragrant and slightly deepened in color, about 1 minute. Whisk the tomato paste into the mixture, then slowly pour in the broth while whisking constantly to remove any lumps.

Raise heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, whisking often, for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened a bit and a spoon encounters some resistance as you stir it.

Remove from heat, then whisk in the vinegar and season to taste with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. Add more salt, if necessary

Of course you can sub different Mexican peppers if you're missing some of them. You can also get sets of them cheap from Amazon that have all 3 of the ones mentioned.

Robert
That is some legit sauce right there Robert.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky