Embarrassing Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That makes no sense. What's to weaken? Pasteurized products have no preservatives, the pasteurization process killed organisms and spores. Thats what preserves them.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/removing-risk-of-botulism-from-canning-1327437

Botulism. Just the word is enough to put a terrified expression on the faces of participants in my food preservation workshops and with good reason. But armed with some facts about this scary bacterium, you will never have to worry about it when you're canning food at home.

How dangerous is botulism? Very. You can't see it, smell it, or taste it, and just one teaspoon of the botulism toxin that is produced by Clostridium botulinum would be enough to kill hundreds of thousands of people.

Fortunately, there are some very simple ways to make absolutely certain that botulism is a non-issue in your home-canned foods.

Use Safe Canning Methods
As far as canning methods go, you need to remember that non-acidic foods must be processed in a pressure canner, not a boiling water bath. That will make sense once you know the "why" behind the "what."

Although a brisk boil destroys botulism bacteria and toxins, it is not hot enough to destroy the spores. Now if you're going to eat the just-boiled food right away, that's okay. But if those spores are going to sit in a jar of incorrectly canned food on a shelf at room temperature, that could be a deadly problem.

What does "incorrectly canned" mean? Something that should have been pressure canned was processed in a boiling water bath instead. The reason that is so important is that a pressure canner heats the food to hotter than the temperature of boiling water. It gets the food all the way up to 240F/116C, which is hot enough to kill botulism spores.

Canning non-acidic foods in a boiling water bath is dangerous because the processing temperature in a boiling water bath cannot get hotter than 212 F/100 C, the temperature of boiling water at sea level. So the bacteria are destroyed, but not the spores that can grow into more bacteria.

Clostridium botulinum spores grow in an environment that has no air, is a temperature between 70 F/21 C and 110 F/43 C, and includes more than 35 percent moisture. Sound familiar? That's right - it's exactly the environment inside a canning jar of food stored in a kitchen cabinet at room temperature.

But the good news for home canners is that botulism is wiped out by food that has an acidic pH. That translates into the happy fact that you can safely process pickled vegetables, sugar preserves, and fruits in a boiling water bath (which you can do with a regular stockpot).

About Sous Vide....
Sous Vide pasteurizes foods... It does not sterilize foods....

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

If you’re not going to eat all your food immediately, then you need to know that some bacteria are able to make spores. Spores themselves will not make you sick, but they can become active bacteria that could. Cooking to kill active bacteria like Listeria, Salmonella, and E. coli will leave these spores unharmed. If you keep your food hot, then the spores will not become active bacteria. But when you cool your food, the spores can become active bacteria: if you cool your food too slowly or store it for too long, then these active bacteria can multiply and make you sick. To keep these spores from becoming active bacteria, you must quickly cool your food – still sealed in its pouch – in ice water that is at least half ice until it’s cold all the way through. You can then store your food in your refrigerator for a few days or freeze it for up to a year

if ya didn't smell it its ok.. the nose knows.. and ya know how many people eat outa dumpsters.. in days of past there were no dates, its was all looks n smells. trust me

if ya didn't smell it its ok.. the nose knows.. and ya know how many people eat outa dumpsters.. in days of past there were no dates, its was all looks n smells. trust me

A general statement like this is not only not very informative, it's Dangerous! Yes...The Nose Knows, Spoilage Bacteria, that which makes food smell like Rotten Eggs or Road Kill, and you can smell Mold. BUT...Pathogens, bacteria that can make you spend Days on the Toilet and Especially their Toxins, that Cripple or KILL You, Don't make foods SMELL any different!!!
Example: Take any Store bought Chicken. Cut it up, rub it and put it in the Smoker at 250. You go back in wash your hands and grab the Sponge in the Sink, rise it with HOT Water and wipe of the knife and board. Then you cut up your Salad Fixins and set them aside until time to eat. Go out and feed the fire until the Chicken is 165. Come in and sit down with your family. Everything Smells Great. The Chicken was juicy and the Homemade Ranch Dressing and Salad was delicious. 6 hours later. The entire family is heaving their Guts up and Grandma has explosive Bloody Diarrhea and the Hospital puts her in Intensive Care, on Dialysis for Kidney Failure!
What went Wrong? Everything SMELLED and tasted delicious!...JJ

A general statement like this is not only not very informative, it's Dangerous! Yes...The Nose Knows, Spoilage Bacteria, that which makes food smell like Rotten Eggs or Road Kill, and you can smell Mold. BUT...Pathogens, bacteria that can make you spend Days on the Toilet and Especially their Toxins, that Cripple or KILL You, Don't make foods SMELL any different!!!
Example: Take any Store bought Chicken. Cut it up, rub it and put it in the Smoker at 250. You go back in wash your hands and grab the Sponge in the Sink, rise it with HOT Water and wipe of the knife and board. Then you cut up your Salad Fixins and set them aside until time to eat. Go out and feed the fire until the Chicken is 165. Come in and sit down with your family. Everything Smells Great. The Chicken was juicy and the Homemade Ranch Dressing and Salad was delicious. 6 hours later. The entire family is heaving their Guts up and Grandma has explosive Bloody Diarrhea and the Hospital puts her in Intensive Care, on Dialysis for Kidney Failure!
What went Wrong? Everything SMELLED and tasted delicious!...JJ

Lol! INFORMATIVE!

oh but really I know how to clean as well as cook. if you think this is what people do why arnt they speaking up. I do take your thoughts to heart but I don't usually think others do stupid things,, sorry 'bout that.

oh but really I know how to clean as well as cook. if you think this is what people do why arnt they speaking up. I do take your thoughts to heart but I don't usually think others do stupid things,, sorry 'bout that.

We rarely have to worry about our regular members. They DO know about Safe production, like yourself and many others. But, we have Hundreds of Lurkers and Occasional Guests. We ARE our Brother's Keeper, here on SMF. It sets us apart from all the Forums with Jerky Sarcastic Members and the many Websites with Dangerous Recipes and Procedures!
I would be remiss and even Heartbroken, to post incomplete or vague Safety info to later read a thread were folks got Sick following my recommendation.
I am confident with the years you spent here, you know Food Safety. When you pass what you learn on, do so like you were Teaching a Family Member or Friend you want to be Safe. Rc4u, Thank You for being a long time Member and Sharing your knowledge...JJ

Reactions: daveomak
We rarely have to worry about our regular members. They DO know about Safe production, like yourself and many others. But, we have Hundreds of Lurkers and Occasional Guests. We ARE our Brother's Keeper, here on SMF. It sets us apart from all the Forums with Jerky Sarcastic Members and the many Websites with Dangerous Recipes and Procedures!
I would be remiss and even Heartbroken, to post incomplete or vague Safety info to later read a thread were folks got Sick following my recommendation.
I am confident with the years you spent here, you know Food Safety. When you pass what you learn on, do so like you were Teaching a Family Member or Friend you want to be Safe. Rc4u, Thank You for being a long time Member and Sharing your knowledge...JJ
For me I learned very early on here that my knowledge of food safety was not good enough for myself let alone advise others. I for one appreciate your posts and other vets posts on food safety. I learn something new in those regards ongoing. I’d hate to think I posted something that made someone sick or God forbid killed someone. Thanks JJ

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Although I don't post often, when I do I am amazed on how quick I receive answers. As the better I get at smoking I will give credit to all the great ideas and suggestions I read on this site. THANKS

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky