Elk Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 16, 2016
Creswell OR
I did a little trading with a very good friend of mine. I scored some fresh ELK steak in trade for a extra 36" Blackstone griddle top I had. I'm VERY picky about what and how "others" treat and process their game. All I can say, is when done right, it is LIGHTS OUT! It was a good trade.

season.jpg

Seasoned with Johnnies, Pepper and Garlic
line.jpg

Here is the assembly line. Simply rolled in flour and fried in bacon grease in a cast iron pan. I like to add a little more granulated garlic when the flour gets wet.
Fry.jpg

Getting a nice crust.
carrots2.jpg

Steamed carrots with a little salt, a pat of butter and parsley.

plate.jpg

Plated. This batch got a tiny bit overdone while I was taking pictures. Still VERY tender juicy and flavorful. I do like my venison and Elk a little pink (Medium to Medium Well). The carrots are a perfect pairing.
Thanks for looking
Erik

Reactions: JC in GB
Love Elk steak... Oh yeah.... :emoji_cat:

Gotta agree here!! Several years ago a friend gave me an Elk tenderloin that I lightly seasoned and cooked on the grill. To this day, it was one of the best cuts of meat I've ever had!! Sure would like to score a few of those steaks....and another tenderloin. Great looking stuff and a big LIKE!!

Robert

Love Elk steak... Oh yeah.... :emoji_cat:
OMG me too! one of my best friends where i USED to live would always run out of freezer space and give me lots of game meat. but i move out of state for a better job, but no game meat...its very sad.

posts like this make be very jealous! congrats on the barter!

Wow, it doesn't get any better than that! About 12 years back I got drawn to whack a CA Tule elk cow, it was some of the best meat and turned into some of the best sausage I ever made. Like! RAY

Gotta agree here!! Several years ago a friend gave me an Elk tenderloin that I lightly seasoned and cooked on the grill. To this day, it was one of the best cuts of meat I've ever had!! Sure would like to score a few of those steaks....and another tenderloin. Great looking stuff and a big LIKE!!

Robert

Thanks Robert. I know what you mean... Just one bite to realize the full extent of what vegans are missing! Thanks for the like.

OMG me too! one of my best friends where i USED to live would always run out of freezer space and give me lots of game meat. but i move out of state for a better job, but no game meat...its very sad.

posts like this make be very jealous! congrats on the barter!

Thanks Sandyut. I usually hunt, but the freezer has been short of venison for the last 2 years. This was a very welcome barter for sure.

Man, I'd be all over this meal. Love elk steak! Big like.

Thank you disco. I don't think I could ever get tired of it. Luckilly Ive got a few more packages and some ground too! Thanks for the like.

Wow, it doesn't get any better than that! About 12 years back I got drawn to whack a CA Tule elk cow, it was some of the best meat and turned into some of the best sausage I ever made. Like! RAY

Thank you Ray. I agree. Probably the best red meat on the planet in my opinion. I have a venison snack stick thread in my list of threads. Wish I had more of that too!

Good trade and looks great.

Thanks. Good trade, yes! Makes me want to trade a kidney or something else for more!
Thank you for the likes!

Some of the best meat on earth. Haven't had any since my last hunt in 94. Drooling over what your cooking and that is a fact.

Aint that the truth Kit! I really miss the days when venison and elk was at least a weekly meal. I sure do cherish it when I have it. ..but since '94.. wow! I would die! Thanks for the like.

Erik I agree taking pics are a PITA when that happens,I would love 1 of them anyway.POINTS
Richie

Thanks a lot Richie! You can take two, they are small. And I'll bet you cant eat just one.
Thanks for the point.
Erik

Sounds like a very good trade on both ends. Elk steak is darn tough to beat. :emoji_thumbsup:

You are right. I go fishing with this buddy a lot, but never hunted together. I just might be joining his elk hunt party next year. Thanks for the like!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky