Elk cook (lotsa pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
So working 6 days a week has kinda cut into my cooking time. Got up this morning and was digging through the freezer for something to cook today. What did I see….
IMG_1272.jpeg
Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ had hooked me up in the Christmas x-change with some elk he had taken. Did a bit of searching on the inter webs and decided to sous vide these. Vac sealed them with some “Hey Grill Hey” seasoning.
IMG_1273.jpeg
Since they were still frozen I did them at 135 degrees for 3 hours in the sous vide.
IMG_1274.jpeg
afterwards a hard sear in some CI. Then made up some gravy and let it simmer in that for a while.
IMG_1275.jpeg
of course with meat and gravy gotta have mashed taters.
IMG_1276.jpeg
Plated pic. Not the prettiest of plating. But good Lord, did it eat well. The meat was fork tender and very tasty. Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ Lesa said we will pay for your elk tag this year if you promise to send more meat !!!!
I know lots of pics and long winded, but sometimes you just gotta talk it up.

Jim

So working 6 days a week has kinda cut into my cooking time. Got up this morning and was digging through the freezer for something to cook today. What did I see….
View attachment 667117
Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ had hooked me up in the Christmas x-change with some elk he had taken. Did a bit of searching on the inter webs and decided to sous vide these. Vac sealed them with some “Hey Grill Hey” seasoning.
View attachment 667118
Since they were still frozen I did them at 135 degrees for 3 hours in the sous vide.
View attachment 667119
afterwards a hard sear in some CI. Then made up some gravy and let it simmer in that for a while.
View attachment 667120
of course with meat and gravy gotta have mashed taters.
View attachment 667121
Plated pic. Not the prettiest of plating. But good Lord, did it eat well. The meat was fork tender and very tasty. Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ Lesa said we will pay for your elk tag this year if you promise to send more meat !!!!
I know lots of pics and long winded, but sometimes you just gotta talk it up.

Jim
man that looks great. We love Elk. Strong work. Oh and I’m starting to think work is overrated. Can we go back to our teens except with bbq skills.

Jim , that is a great looking and sounding cook.
And yes with a meal like that Potatoes and gravy is a must, corn and biscuit are a bonus.

I have never had Elk, but I know I would love to try. Not real big on Deer, But moose is my most favorite meat there is .
And I have had it many different ways. The only way I did not care for was bottled, and that could have been the way it was processed.

David

Reactions: JLeonard
Another one whose never had elk, but your plate looks mighty inviting Jim.

Point for sure
Chris

I just spent way too much to order 5Lbs of Elk medallions and 5Lbs of Elk burger online. I last ordered it 4 years ago but ran out. This is one of those you only live life once moments. They will take up a lot of freezer space but since it is not available locally I did splurge so I can thaw some out every month or so and enjoy the good life.

Hunting an Elk here would cost as much as buying a new car so this is actually the cheaper option.

This was my first go a round with elk also. But if its all like this I might have to get a new credit card to max out on a freezer full!!! Lesa said it was better tasting than beef and oh so very tender!!

Jim

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Nice! there wouldnt have been much left after the pan sear if it were me!

Wow Jim, some amazing looking food right there buddy. I've had elk a few times and agree with you and Lesa, it is some fine meat. Very nice way to do that gift justice.

Robert

Oh man Jim… you knocked that one out of the park my friend! Very nicely done and looks phenomenal! So glad you all enjoyed the elk and the sides all look great… and the gravy… well who does not like gravy!? Other than Brokenhandle Brokenhandle 🤣.

Again, glad Lesa and yourself liked it… you all cross your fingers as we just put in for some tags this fall! Hopefully luck will be on our side to draw and have a successful hunt!

Thanks for the shout out buddy!

Very nice cook Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ hooked you up nicely for sure! Gravy, please pass the gravy!

I have never had Elk,
Another one whose never had elk,

^^^^^Same here
Me, neither
Elk is a treat for sure and worth a try if you can. Although, I remember after getting my 6x6 bull (a while back) and having elk steak, elk burger, elk roast, elk kabobs, elk and eggs..... for almost every day for a year I was ready for a little chicken..... but then again it was elk hunting season again......LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky