Elk and Deer Venison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Howdy fellas, non fellas and those of you still figuring out which team to swim for. Was double blessed over the last few months by a couple forum friends. First off @WaterinHoleBrew sent me a bunch of elk meat. Thanks for that my friend. What better way to grill it but firing up the Santa Maria grill @tx smoker built and gifted me for it's maiden voyage?

The elk steaks I cooked tonight were from the strip loin and labeled New York strip. Was expertly processed with zero silver skin. I also had a piece of deer back strap from a doe I got last season. Seasoned it all with kosher salt and cracked peppercorns. Nothing elseView attachment 529460
Back strap on the left. Other 4 pieces are the elk.

Got some Kingsford hickory charcoal in the santa maria grillView attachment 529461
Put the back strap on first as it was thicker than the steaksView attachment 529462
When it hit about 125 I pulled it and added the elk steaksView attachment 529463
These only took about 6 minutes to get to 120-125. Rested it all for 10 minutes while I made a little board sauceView attachment 529464
Garlic olive oil. Fresh thyme, rosemary and red pepper flakes. Rested the elk and deer on top of that and slicedView attachment 529465
I was going for rare- med rare. I was pleasedView attachment 529466View attachment 529467
Had a nice salad and steakhouse baked tater with itView attachment 529468
Meal was outstanding and I am stuffed. Elk was wonderful and Santa Maria did me right. Such a blessing to have such generous forum friends. Thanks again Justin and Robert!
Beautiful cook on that meat

Reactions: TNJAKE
Dang Jake you nailed that cook! That's a meal fit for a king!!. Love the idea of resting the meat directly on the herbs and spices... I need to try that out!!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Just wow! Everything looks done to perfection and you definitely done Justin proud with that elk. Looks like Roberts grill worked great!

I’m such a big fan of the board sauces.

Also, never change your opener.

Dang Jake you nailed that cook! That's a meal fit for a king!!. Love the idea of resting the meat directly on the herbs and spices... I need to try that out!!
Thanks Travis. The board sauce is delicious. Think I got the idea from thirdeye thirdeye . We use it on steaks alot now

Just wow! Everything looks done to perfection and you definitely done Justin proud with that elk. Looks like Roberts grill worked great!

I’m such a big fan of the board sauces.

Also, never change your opener.
Appreciate it Joe and lol the opener is here to stay in one form or another

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky