• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

element voltage

abbiemax

Joined May 1, 2021
so I built a PID for my range master electric smoker, SCR output was 118 V but at the connectors for the element was only 78V. Thinking a problem with the SCR, even though it is only a switch, I put the original manual controller on , same 78V at element. Now I'm confused. Element is 1500 W and reads 11 ohms. Assume I should have 118 V at element, Could a bad element cause this thus it needs replacing?

kilo charlie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 25, 2017
so I built a PID for my range master electric smoker, SCR output was 118 V but at the connectors for the element was only 78V. Thinking a problem with the SCR, even though it is only a switch, I put the original manual controller on , same 78V at element. Now I'm confused. Element is 1500 W and reads 11 ohms. Assume I should have 118 V at element, Could a bad element cause this thus it needs replacing?
Welcome to SMF... sorry I don't know the answer to your question though!

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Did you measure the voltage with the heating element connected? Do you mean SSR? Either case. You need a load attached for the voltage to be correct. What was the original controller? Analog?

Last edited:

abbiemax

Joined May 1, 2021
118 v no load, 78 with element connected, either PID or supplied dial analog thermostat

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Are you using a extension cord?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.