Electric Smoker Thermostats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigdaddyviking67

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 5, 2005
Milaca, Minnesota
Anyone know a website that sells thermostats for electric smokers. I am in the process of fixing up an old fridge and I have my element in place, but I need a thermostat for it. I found a nice one on the Allied Kenco site, but I was hoping to find some other sites to compare prices with. If antone knows a good site let me know.

I got mine from the local industrial controls distributor. They had a demo unit on the shelf and for some smoked meat they gave it to me. The great thing is this controller has PID control to it and I can hold my temp with in one degree of the set point.
155fa4fc_vbattach10446.jpg

b819c867_vbattach10445.jpg

Attachments

• 155fa4fc_vbattach10446.jpg
    155fa4fc_vbattach10446.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 32
  • b819c867_vbattach10445.jpg
    b819c867_vbattach10445.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 34
yo cheech dude,
your rig looks great.
thanks for sharing the info.

i also use a electric smoker.
so i am really glad to see you here.

most of the good folks around here use
gas or wood or charcoal.
and they have helped me learn.

this place is great!

hello big daddy v

i got a dandy thermostat from mcmaster carr mod #1760k77 it cost 56.40 plus shipping it is an in line thermostat it has a temp probe it works for both cold and hot temps the temp range is from -30 to +212 it can be used for 120 or 240 volts pretty nice unit for the price i have been using it for about a year and a half with no problems so far you can check it out on www.mcmaster.com

later
salmonclubber

Glad you like it. The heating element is a dual electric burner from Walmart for $20. The refrigerator was a throw away. The whole thing cost me the $20 for the burner and that was it. I believe it really makes the meat taste better when the smoker is practically free.

Hey bigdaddy,

Did you get a thermostat yet?

I was digging through a pile of pieces and parts over Christmas and found an old one if you want it.

I need to test it first to make sure that it still works.

If you want it you can have it.

Yes Cheech, Santa brought me the one salmonclubber recommended. I put my electricians hat on and wired it up the other day after returning from ice fishing. It works great.

Glad to hear that Santa was good to you.

Please let me know how it turns out. I work for an electrical contractor that has a process control group that I can go to in order to find out how to tweek things if needed.

So if you have any issues with it let me know and I will get it figured out for you.

Sounds good, I am waiting for santa's second gift, which is a smoke generator. Soon as I get that bad boy, I will be smoking some venison snack sticks. I will let you know how they turn out and post some pics.

I got the Bradley Smoke Generator the other day and got everything all hooked up. I fired it up and set the thermostat for 90 degrees and put one Bradley Maple Bisquette on the smoke generators heat plate and it worked great. I will be making a batch of deer snack sticks and some smoked cheese this week, so I will know furthur how good the whole set up works. Here are a few pics of the charcoal / electric smoker.
5c8fcdc2_vbattach10470.jpg

18c70480_vbattach10469.jpg

d5eec75f_vbattach10468.jpg

BDV, Great setup and nice pics too. Let us know how things turn out.

Glad you like it. The heating element is a dual electric burner from Walmart for $20. The refrigerator was a throw away. The whole thing cost me the $20 for the burner and that was it. I believe it really makes the meat taste better when the smoker is practically free.[/quote]

what is amp rating and watt consumption on the 20 buck dually?? :?:

doesnt this dually have factory thermo settings--- :?:
maybe lo-med -hi???

how hot can the dually get and hold on inside temp? :?:

I will check on the amp rating, I am not sure on that. There are factory settings just numbered 1-10. There are times like during the summer when I turn off one of the burners.

The max temp that I have gotten this up to has been 250F. There is more power under the hood then that, it is just i do not want ot start to melt the wire etc.

CHEECH I COULD USE A THERMOSTAT IF YOU STILL HAVE ONE  I'M BUILDING MY FIRST SMOKER I'M USING A BURNER FROM A ELECTRIC STOVE

I NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO CONTROL MY HEAT I HAVE IT WIRED INTO A CORD AND JUST PLUGGING IT IN ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD BE GREAT

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky