Electric Smoke Rings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinbarrles

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Good Morning everyone!

So i recently got an electric smoker (MES40). And iv read people have trouble with smoke rings. I know they arnt necessary for flavor but they sure make it look great! iv read you can make a "false" one with nitrate i believe and people say add a lump of charcoal and that will also cause the reaction to produce a ring.

So my question is will one of the pellet tubes produce a smoke ring? Seems like they say pellet smokers will make one appear. So will just the tube be enough in an electric smoker?

I'm not looking for a smoke ring , but I mix wood chips with the pellets in a tube . I have noticed a ring doing that , sometimes , but I'm adding the chips for flavor and color on the outside of the meat .

Food doesn't last long enough my house to even look for a smoke ring Like said it has nothing to do with taste and most of us are not in competition so why worry about it. Just My 4.02

Warren

In my experience I've used the small basic MES metal box cooker with the chip tray & the Bradley digital 4 rack with the wood pucks. Was able to cook some really good meats in both of them but never achieved the "smoke ring". I think it requires burning wood and/or charcoal. More than what we burn with the wood pucks in the Bradley or the chip tray of the MES. I never tried running a AMPS in either.

Do not use nitrate.... use cure#1 which is nitrite... Do not use more than 1 gram per pound of meat.... or 1 tsp of cure#1 per 5#'s of meat....

Good Morning everyone!

iv read you can make a "false" one with nitrate i believe and people say add a lump of charcoal and that will also cause the reaction to produce a ring.

SIDE NOTE: to those using pellet smoking tubes do you abandon the chip tray all together or use both. i have the tube but haven't used it yet. Also has anyone experimented with different brand pellets, which do you prefer?

to those using pellet smoking tubes do you abandon the chip tray all together or use both.
I do not use the chip tray or the water pan. Have used a lot of different pellets, but I always seem to use a lot of apple and pitmasters choice. Just me, though. Probably lots of preferences when it comes to flavors.

Since I have the AMNPS, I have pulled out all the guts of my MES and only use the AMNPS in a mailbox mod...
I have the ability to put the chip pan on the heating element, if the need arises...
element and elbow.jpg LEGS 4.jpg

Nitrous Oxide (NO) gas is produced in small quantities from fire (which produce the smoke ring), but you MUST have actual flame to do so. Which is why charcoal can produce Nitrous Oxide gas..... chips and pellets, it's a crap shoot.

Hey daveomak daveomak ! Do you happen to have a picture of whatever that is just out of frame to the left of your element?

Just curious how you're doing yours. Been trying a few different ways and configurations lately.

Nitrous Oxide (NO) gas is produced in small quantities from fire (which produce the smoke ring), but you MUST have actual flame to do so. Which is why charcoal can produce Nitrous Oxide gas..... chips and pellets, it's a crap shoot.
IMG_3902.JPG

Just to clarify.....Pellets burnt in a tray or tube may not produce a "smoke ring" in an electric smoker but my Yoder Pellet grill will give you smoke ring envy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky