Eldon's Pepper sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I was gifted a packet of this seasoning and it calls for lean meat only ! This seems strange to me because all the other snack sticks that I have made call for some ratio of fat . What are you guy's thoughts on this? Have any of you made anything similar with zero fat ? I would think it would be to dry.

Reactions: thomsan.oliverr
I have had used 90/10 and it was ok, I was making 13mm sticks. I like 80/20 better.

I have had used 90/10 and it was ok, I was making 13mm sticks. I like 80/20 better.
Agreed Adam ! I still want to talk to a company rep. to see why they recommend no fat . I looked at other companies that sell a pepper stick seasoning and they don't say lean only.

Eldons calls for lean meat. 90/10 works good for theirs. Actually. I like theirs more than TSM kits.
Steve if you made them again would you want to add anymore fat or would you keep it lean ? I am having a hard time understanding the low fat content , not that my waistline couldn't use a little help . Still to early here on the west coast for my customer service call to ask them why !

Steve if you made them again would you want to add anymore fat or would you keep it lean ? I am having a hard time understanding the low fat content , not that my waistline couldn't use a little help . Still to early here on the west coast for my customer service call to ask them why !
I'd do it the same way. I was dubious at first too.

Reactions: poacherjoe
I was gifted a packet of this seasoning and it calls for lean meat only ! This seems strange to me because all the other snack sticks that I have made call for some ratio of fat . What are you guy's thoughts on this? Have any of you made anything similar with zero fat ? I would think it would be to dry.
Sounds like it is more of a ground meat jerky seasoning.

Not that there is likely much difference between jerky seasoning and stick seasoning (maybe some binders or not).

I use stick seasoning to make ground meat jerky and it works great.

I also use seasoning to make ground meat jerky and squeezed it out of my jerky cannon using the "tube" nozzle to make stick jerky and it is the same size as some snack sticks before dehydration and it works great as well.

My ground meat jerky is usually 90/10 or often 100% ground venison with no added fat so even leaner

Figured I would share this experience to help you with your situation :)

Reactions: poacherjoe
Let us know the results of that conversation... I'm interested in their answer as well ...
I talked with Eldons and was told that it's a personal preference and it depends on what type of meat you use. He did his 90/10 ratio with beef and took it to a trade show and said he didn't get any complaints. I told him I was using red stag and he said he would go as high has 70/30 but prefers a leaner texture so 85/15 using pork back fat . I will get 10 pounds going this week to see how it tastes .

Reactions: Steve H and tallbm
Does it call for a binder, non fat dry milk, soy protein? That would help the bind with a recipe calling for little fat, in my opinion.

Well I got them stuffed along with some trail bologna , I went with 9 pounds of red stag to 3.5 pounds of pork trim and I had a bag of pepperjack sitting in the fridge telling me to eat it so it went into the pepper sticks . Now they can cure in the fridge for a day or so and into the smoker with some mountain mahogany for smoke flavor. I will post pictures later.

Here's the finished product
562CCEBD-5557-4F72-BF65-16B2EC2C61A3_1_105_c.jpeg

39A61660-C6CD-4AFD-8299-F36A8AE5C5DF_1_105_c.jpeg
62B92781-49E8-4D26-829E-09B9BC8ABB72_1_105_c.jpeg

They were very tasty . Some were a tag bit under stuffed but it's hard to do by yourself !

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I ordered 3 packets of the seasoning , That's how good it tasted !! I've tried quite a few and these are great !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky