Economical Smoker or Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TunaciousBBQ28

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
I'm looking for a economical grill/smoker to use at my sister's house, about 4 times a year. I have posted on the $130 Char Griller off set smoker and its issues.
Here is my list:
1- Oklahoma Joe- Banderas model. $600, includes cost of cover and gasket.
2- Oklahoma Joe- Judge model. $600, includes cost of cover and gasket.
3- Traeger 620. $700 at Costco.
4- Traeger 575 Pro. $800 at ACE hardware.
5- Master Built 800. A reverse flow charcoal smoker. $ 865 at California patio.

My sister does not have a lot of $$. I'm paying half the cost.

Primary use is up to 6 racks of baby backs at Holidays. The old grill was very similar to the Judge model, in that it was direct heat, using charcoal briquettes with adjustable fire pan and a front mounted fire box door to add coals. The Judge is better built.

I'm intrigued with the Banderas model. It has a lot of rack space. I'm concerned with the size of the fire box.
I know I can make the Judge work.
I already own a Traeger Texas, so the smaller Treager will work too.

I looked at the Cadillac models from Assassin, Stumps and Mixon. Way out of price range.

Has anyone owned and used the Banderas or Judge?

Any other thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Last edited:
I'm a BIG fan of Masterbuilt's gravity system.
Hard wood added to the charcoal (and under the fire in the ash catch box) produce a "near stickburner" flavor profile in the meat.
In addition, it's set and forget, you can enjoy your day with almost no fiddling around trying to get the temps to hold steady.
I've got a large Kamado and a pellet spitter but they gather dust now that I'm cooking with Masterbuilt.

I'm a BIG fan of Masterbuilt's gravity system.
Hard wood added to the charcoal (and under the fire in the ash catch box) produce a "near stickburner" flavor profile in the meat.
In addition, it's set and forget, you can enjoy your day with almost no fiddling around trying to get the temps to hold steady.
I've got a large Kamado and a pellet spitter but they gather dust now that I'm cooking with Masterbuilt.
Thanks for the comment. I agree that the gravity system has convenience that is important too.

WSM's are pretty economical, and "set and forget" if that is a concern. A 22" and 2 Weber Rib Racks could hold up to 10 racks, 5 on the top grate and 5 on the bottom.

WSM is a good idea. I prefer drums so I would suggest a PBC or OKJ Bronco with the price range in mind. Unless you want to build your own.

No real recommendation of those choices (you can see what I use), but that quote on a Masterbuilt is ridiculous … it’s 700 + free shipping direct from Masterbuilt (According to their site right now)

I think a WSM 22 is one of the best smokers ever made for the price. I really like the MB gravity feed, but would like to see how well it works after a couple years. The WSM will last for years!
Al

If you are looking for an economical pellet grill, Then Pit boss is the way to go. It has abilities to smoke and sear unlike most traegers, Price point is also much better than the traeger. After using the traeger and pit boss, the pit boss hands down as a better buy. Been using one at work now for 5 yrs, also have 1 at home. I wouldn't go back.

It may take a little finagling, but I think you could get 5 ribs on a 26" kettle using racks or rolling them up, and you won't find a better grill.

Chris

If you are looking for an economical pellet grill, Then Pit boss is the way to go. It has abilities to smoke and sear unlike most traegers, Price point is also much better than the traeger. After using the traeger and pit boss, the pit boss hands down as a better buy. Been using one at work now for 5 yrs, also have 1 at home. I wouldn't go back.
I have not priced Pit Boss. Local stores do not carry that brand. I will take a look.

It may take a little finagling, but I think you could get 5 ribs on a 26" kettle using racks or rolling them up, and you won't find a better grill.

Chris
To the Weber fans, I cut my teeth on a 26" kettle, getting over 20 years on the same model. All I replaced was the grill grate. My only beef was, the old models were difficult to add coals. I had to remove the food and grate. I see the new models have grates that hinge to add coals. I don't think I will go back to a kettle or a drum. I already know how to use box style grills/smokers.
Thanks for all the advice.
Edit: I'm looking at investing in WEBR.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky