ECB Surprised the heck out of me!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

liquiddirt

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Louisiana
First off, I own a WSM that I absolutely love. Well the wife and I just purchased a new camper to go frolicking with the alligators on the weekends. We love to smoke meat on the weekends when we go but I just didn't want to take the chance of hauling my WSM all over the states and risk dinging up my grill. I asked around this board and a few posters told me to just purchase an ECB for those trips. I just could not bring myself to make the purchase. Well the wife comes home 3 days before we leave for our first trip and she has a gift more me, yep an ECB. I thank her like a good husband should then went into the shed thinking to myself as I am assembling the unit "what a piece of cheap crap this is". I then season the unit and hide it in a corner so my friends don't see it and make fun of me. Here comes the weekend and she has 2 slabs of baby back ribs. I hide the ECB under a blanket, load up and off we go. Saturday morning at around 11:30 a.m. I sneak the ECB behind the camper so no one will see me or the mistake I am about to make. I knew it would go bad because I didn't make one modification to the unit except use my remote thermometer. I load the charcoal bowl to the rim and add a few pieces of pecan, I then use the minion method, add the water bowl full of water, let the unit heat up a bit, then I add the ribs. Ahhh, miller time. I get ready to try to make adjustments but not having any vents or anything to adjust I just stare at the ECB and make faces at it every so often. After about an hour I decide to look at the temp gage and cuss and fuss about how bad this unit really is.... 225 degrees, I'm thinking "huh thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s pretty cool, guess it will ramp up and burn my ribs to a crisp". Second hour I look at the temp.... 226 degrees, huh, now I am surprised. Using the 321 method, 6 hours later the temp is.... 227, I was totally amazed. The ribs were perfect and I didn't have to touch a thing, almost made me feel useless. The unit does burn charcoal faster than the WSM, way faster, but hey, it serves its purpose and the unit amazed me. Once again, I have made no mods to the unit. I just assembled, seasoned, then cooked. Just wanted to let yall know that if you have reservations about buying a $25 dollar smoker, DIVE IN THE SMOKE!!

Goose

Cool
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
. I have a smoke king deluxe and a pitmaster deluxe and my wife still says the best stuff I ever smoked came off of my old ECB. In fact she told me yesterday that she wants me to get another one just to do chicken in.
icon_cool.gif

Was the one you got the "gourmet" model or the one on legs that has the charcoal pan that looks like the water pan?

The cheapest one you can find, the Smoke & Grill. I think the cost was around 28 bucks at Wally World.

I love my ECB! As long as you keep the water pan in there is great to smoke on! The only mod I made was to drill a few tiny holes on the cover to stick thermometers in.

My only complaint was mines oly 16" in diameter and my ribs are usually 20".

I found the Gourmet ECB on sale for $44.00 at Lowes today so I grabbed me one to cook my chicken on.

Got it seasoning right now
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

DEBI, very simple fix for long racks, set a beer can under the middle of the ribs and it will hump them up so they will fit. thats what i used to do when i ran a ECB.

Gee, I sure feel sorry for all you folks stateside, here in Canada we have to shell out ... are you ready for this? ... $80 for an ECB ... which is one of the few choices available here!

So ... with all due respect ... quit you're whining!
icon_biggrin.gif

Buzz -

I used to curl them up. until they shrunk a bit. Now I just use my Smoke Vault![/quote]

Smoke vault? Is that where we put dead critters for preservation?

My smoker/avatar

Camp Chef SMV24 Smoke Vault

24-inch outdoor food smoker/baker

Airtight, gun-safe design for optimal efficiency
4 large nickel-plated racks ensure easy cleaning and stick-free removal
Fully adjustable 25,000 BTU burner for a wide variety of foods
Electronic ignition for easy starts; cast iron smoke tray won't warp or flake
Lock in great flavor to ribs, ham, fish, brisket, turkey and chickens. The smoke vault is great for any kind of smoking whether it's wild game from the last hunt or a steak from the local supermarket. The wide heat range control allows you to slowly and economically make jerky, or crank it up to cook or smoke roast chickens for the backyard party. Outfitters and caterers alike will find the Smoke Vault conducive for baking breads and pies. The smoker features a 25,000 BTU/hr. propane burner, stainless steel water pan and cast iron wood chip box. Four removable/adjustable smoking racks allow you to smoke or cook whatever you want. Easy push button ignitor makes for quick and hassle free lighting.

·24-inch outdoor food smoker/baker
·Airtight, gun-safe design for optimal efficiency
·4 large nickel-plated racks ensure easy cleaning and stick-free removal
·Fully adjustable 25,000 BTU burner for a wide variety of foods
·Electronic ignition for easy starts; cast iron smoke tray won't warp or flake
Lock in great flavor to ribs, ham, fish, brisket, turkey and chickens. The smoke vault is great for any kind of smoking whether it's wild game from the last hunt or a steak from the local supermarket. The wide heat range control allows you to slowly and economically make jerky, or crank it up to cook or smoke roast chickens for the backyard party. Outfitters and caterers alike will find the Smoke Vault conducive for baking breads and pies. The smoker features a 25,000 BTU/hr. propane burner, stainless steel water pan and cast iron wood chip box. Four removable/adjustable smoking racks allow you to smoke or cook whatever you want. Easy push button ignitor makes for quick and hassle free lighting. Shipping Dimensions: 24.5" x 17" x 31" Shipping Weight: 82 lbs. Powerful Cooking Ability -Universal Output System -Provides wide range of cooking options Performance - Enhancing Attributes -Cast Burner -Commercial quality for lasting durability -Appliance-style Temperature Controls -Enables easy adjustment of output Special Product Characteristics -Two Side Handles -Conveniently carry

24.5" x 17" x 31" Powerful Cooking Ability -Universal Output System -Provides wide range of cooking options Performance - Enhancing Attributes -Cast Burner -Commercial quality for lasting durability -Appliance-style Temperature Controls -Enables easy adjustment of output Special Product Characteristics -Two Side Handles -Conveniently carry
a7ddbbc7_vbattach12593.jpg

Thats a nice looken unit, lotsa versitility, had not seen one before.

I never did either until I found it. Alot like a GOSM but with a wider body, bigger water pan, wood pan and a very accurate themperature dial. It claims to be Commercial quality And I can see why. Great for baking too!

Smoker0005.jpg

This one is almost 30 years old. My first smoker ever. Only added some extra holes to the bottom of the firepan. Only complaint is when I have to change the coals, thus I bought a Great Outdoor Vertical. The old R2D2 gets hotter though and gets the brunt of Winter use here in Florida. If I only need one rack, it goes in the R2D2.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I am going to remove the feet and attempt the concrete block base so access to the firepan will be simplier. Here in Florida, I rarely use the water pan with water. More Playbox sand. Gives a more constant temp for a longer period of time. This little gem paid for itself a long time ago.

Hey Liquiddirt
Wife Just bought me a new Smoker from Wally World its a Smokey Mountain
A Gas one and paid $98.00 for it I like it alot Did a great job on my Pork Butt I just did last week

Flash -

You keep that thing forvever they don't make them like that anymore!

Paul -

Here's what it looks like inside (when I smoke anyways)
9a697025_vbattach12606.jpg

Flash, thought I was the only one with an antique ECB. You have an advantage, the salt air gives yours a nice "patina". Bought mine in the 70's.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

3b0ab694_vbattach12608.jpg

9d4b5a70_vbattach12607.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky