Easy Corned Beef Flat Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
I've never made pastrami simply because Rock kept saying he didn't like it. So I decided to try it and see what he thought.

I used two store purchased corned beef flats, rinsed them off, trimmed the fat and put them in fresh cold water and into the fridge to soak out the salt for 24 hours.

I changed the water 4 times during the soaking process.

Trimmed and yes those are a couple elk roasts that I cured/corned those will be in a separate thread.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/143358/cured-corned-elk-roast-pastrami

After soaking, I rinsed them again, patted dry and then gave a light coating of extra virgin olive oil before 

applying the rub. These went into resealable bags for 7 days in the fridge. 

Pastrami Rub Recipe:

Makes enough for 4 lbs

4 Tbsp fresh cracked coarse ground black pepper

2 Tbsp coriander powder

1 tsp dry mustard powder

1 Tbsp brown sugar

1 Tbsp paprika

2 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp onion powder

Mix together and apply liberally to meat.

This is after the 7 days in the fridge with the initial coating of rub. I applied a little more rub before smoking them.

In the propane smoker at 225°with cherry and a pan of beef broth beneath to an internal temp of 190° (which took 12-14 hours)

I let it cool, wrapped it and into the fridge for the night. 

I sliced this all by hand!!!!

Rock loves Reuben sandwiches. Steamed beef pastrami, German Sauerkraut, Baby Swiss and Gruyere Cheeses on Rye. 

I kept half and gave the other half to the guys at the company sheet metal shop that helped in building the propane smoker. 

I also gave them half the beef pastrami, pulled pork, smoked cheddar cheese, jalapeno relish, jalapeno jelly and smoked Chex party mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrted
Alesia!  That looks completely fantastic. I love your spice rub recipe, I'll have to give that a shot next time.

Great post, and I'm heading over to read your elk roast post right now!

Have a great night!
Clarissa

Alesia!  That looks completely fantastic. I love your spice rub recipe, I'll have to give that a shot next time.

Great post, and I'm heading over to read your elk roast post right now!

Have a great night!
Clarissa
Thanks Clarissa! You have some great threads as well and I enjoy reading them and have saved several!

I think the guy's at the sheet metal shop will help build you a smoker anytime!! This is another item i have never done. Love the step by step and that sandwich at the end!! Reinhard

Love some pastrami!  Yours looks wonderful!  I have about 5 corned beefs in the freezer....gonna have a 'strami fest soon!

Kat

Looks wonderful to me!!! 
points.gif

Your Pastrami looks fantastic! I don't know how I missed this post until now.

drool.gif

You should put this thread on the FB page.....nice job!

Last edited:
Did you all check out the Elk Pastrami I made at the same time? Link is above.

Thank you! It's some good stuff for sure. Makes outstanding Reubens.
WOW

I have never had it but I gotta try this.
Thanks WC. I'm thinking I should post it there and perhaps on the Carousel too! Thanks for the push to post it. 
Your Pastrami looks fantastic! I don't know how I missed this post until now.

drool.gif

You should put this thread on the FB page.....nice job!

Thanks Dave...they were both delicious. I can't wait for hunting seasons this year...I have an rifle cow elk, muzzle loader mule deer buck, rifle antelope doe and I can also buy an OTC rifle bull elk...then I can make lots of strami!!!
Great looking strami Alesia!!! The elk too!!!
Thank you. It really not that hard at all to make!
Looks awesome !!!!!!!

Thanks for your rub recipe. I was having trouble getting one I liked. I adjusted it to where I thought the family would like it. I went with 3T of fresh ground pepper a bit finer then coarse. 2T of Coriander seed toasted before doing the same style grind on that. 2t garlic powder. That was it. Instead of Mustard powder I elected to do a light rub of yellow mustard on my pre packaged corn beef. I used a point. Everyone likes it. Your rub recipe made it happen. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky