Easter Ham w skin?? Now what?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BXMurphy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2022
Methuen, Massachusetts
I have a shoulder that looks like it still has skin on it. I'm curing it for Ham and smoking next weekend.

Should I trim the skin and fat or not? (I'm partial to trimming because... eww. But maybe I'm missing something?)

B

I would trim the skin off. What cure procedure you using to get it cured in a week?

I have found that absolutely, the skin has to come off because it is almost impossible to stab through it. (Wow, can you actually kill a wild pig before it kills you?)

Oh, I'm using tallbm's method. It seems about right but I'll welcome any input.

Thanks and happy Easter!

Murph

Have pics? And like pc farmer pc farmer said... kinda short time period to cure one.

Ryan

Ugh. <gulp> What if i said I injected the daylights out of it - every inch all around? Any hope?

Hey, here's a question... What if I didn't inject, is this eight pounds of botulism in a week or just a porky ham product? (This is a vac sealed pork shoulder that expires on April 12.)

B

Ugh. <gulp> What if i said I injected the daylights out of it - every inch all around? Any hope?

Hey, here's a question... What if I didn't inject, is this eight pounds of botulism in a week or just a porky ham product? (This is a vac sealed pork shoulder that expires on April 12.)

B
Without injection,,,, it ain’t happening In a week on a ham. That’s just truth.

Reactions: BXMurphy
Have pics? And like pc farmer pc farmer said... kinda short time period to cure one.

Pics? Hah! I should have taken some!! Man! First time. What a freakin' MESS! Nobody ever tells you the technique to use, especially with the holes all along the needle. I have cure/pork juice EVERYWHERE! Walls, toaster, ceiling... dog... <sigh>

Glad I have a wife and bourbon.

Yeah.. no pics. That I know of. I'll deny anyway...

Murph

Without injection,,,, it ain’t happening In a week on a ham. That’s just truth.

Ok, pc farmer says he'd still cure for two weeks even with injecting. I think I'll go that route and use a store-bought spiral-slice for this Easter and smoke a home made for the win next week.

Thanks for the triage, gang!

B

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Ok, pc farmer says he'd still cure for two weeks even with injecting. I think I'll go that route and use a store-bought spiral-slice for this Easter and smoke a home made for the win next week.

Thanks for the triage, gang!

B
Not to confuse things but if you took the skin off and injected all over like you say, and all along the bone, AND are curing it in the liquid, AND used the correct amount of cure#1, you will have no issue smoking it for Easter.

This will be a hot smoke on this ham. So even if it didn't cure all the way through 100% in some spots, it will still be safe to eat when you pull it out of the smoker. IF there are any uncured spots, those spots will taste like regular pork and not cured pork.

If you injected like you say and it's curing from now until the day before or day of Easter, I'd bet money it is cured all the way :)

Saying this so you don't have to buy a spiral sliced ham, but they are on sale so you may want to get on anyhow and smoke it as well for a double smoked ham. This way you have all bases covered and plenty of left over ham to vac seal :D

Let me know if this makes sense :)

Reactions: Buckeyedude
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky