Dutch oven Smoked Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ejbreeze

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Southern California
[h5]Going to make my smoked chili but first I took 1 pound of applewood bacon, 1 pound chuck roast, 1 pound spicy ground sausage and 1 pound pork butt. Cube the meats into 1" chunks then rub the with smokehouse maple rub. For the bacon rub it down with La Pans rub. If you have a cryovac then use it to marinade over night in the fridge or you can just wrap with plastic wrap.[/h5]

This old bailed pan makes a perfect smoking pan to lay out all the meat. On to the smoker for two hours or so using pecan chunks for my choice of wood.

All cooked up with a nice smoky pecan flavor.

In a #9 or #10 dutch oven saute in light bacon grease 1 large sweet onion, 1 Anaheim chili, 1 jalapeno chili, and 1 small habenero chili. Seed and remove the vein in the chilies first then dice them up and lightly saute until l soft.

Drain and add 1 ea 14 oz can of red kidney beans, small black beans and pinto beans. Add 1 14 oz can of chicken broth, beef broth and fire roasted diced tomatoes.

Drain off any fat and cut up the bacon into small pieces and add all the meat. Add 4 cloves garlic, 3 TBSP chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 TBSP molasses and 2 bay leaves. Mix well.

Place the lid on the pot and into the oven at 250 degrees for 6-8 hrs. The meat and beans need to cook down and when it comes out there will be one more step before it is ready to eat. See you all in eight hours.

It's time to personalize your chili. With a potato smasher smash your chili to the desired consistency. I like mine kind of medium with a texture of pulled pork.

Now back into the oven until dinner is ready. it's either going to be cornbread or cheese bread tonight. We'll see.

The cheese bread won out. If you use the whole habenero you are going to need something to calm sooth your throat. I chose appropriately. You are probably going to need to add some more beef base once you mash it up. It thickens up two fold. Also if you drive a Prius don't use the habenero. It's going to be way to spicy for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky