Dutch oven set/swing grill recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old school

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Wisconsin
This site has helped me learn to make sausage, smoke meat and even canning!  I have met some great people here and I look forward to meeting more in the world of open pit cooking!!

It started with looking for a good high quality swing grill.  All I can find is this-

Its a Camp Fire Café Cowboy Swing Grill.  Then of course I figured get the whole set since this is what I want to do next!!!  Any thoughts, suggestions on high quality products for my next adventure?!!

Thanks!!

Old School

Link deleted..... DaveOmak....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen them cook on the Campfire Cafe.  I like their set up but they seem awfully proud of it. (BTW...I'll be surprised if your link survives the night)  I've seen some on Amazon and other areas of the internet.  Landmann USA sells a pretty neat fire pit with swing grill.

Thanks Bama` That pit is awesome but looking to do the cooking without hauling a pit around.  FYI I have no idea on Campfire Cafe and I am in no way trying to upset the mods with my link or trying to show case it.  I'm only trying to show what I found and get opinions or other suggestions before I purchase.  

OS, morning......  There is also a tri-pod with a chain hanging from the middle to suspend the DO from.....   How many pots are you wanting to suspend at one time.....   Dave

When I cook with my Dutch ovens I don't use anything too fancy. Usually use the fire pit if we are at camp. If not I have small sheet metal pan (water heater drip tray) that I use under the Dutch oven.

I have not used the Campfire Café stuff, but my main concern would be the lateral stability.  You have to pound the metal rod into the ground (they say 6-8 inches).  I'd be worried that an offset load, or a bump might send the whole thing crashing down.  The swing grill looks nice - but same question on how much of a load can it take on the grill opposite to the metal stake?

As DaveOmak asked - how much do you need to cook at once?  I have gotten by on my metal tripod (much cheaper than this rig) with a dutch oven hanging from it.  With three legs, it is very stable, and I don't have to pound it into the ground.  I also carry a regular old rectangular grill grate (from any propane or charcoal grill) and some steel wire.  If you lay the tripod across the fire horizontally, supported by the rocks, then put the grill on top and use a little steel wire to hold it all together, you have a much more sturdy platform to grill over the open fire, and again, much cheaper.

You can get the tripod for around $25.00 - there are 50 inch and 60 inch models out there.  You can get a good large grate for another $25.00.  So, for $50, you have a two way system - you can hang dutch ovens over a fire, or you can put up a grate over the fire and do open flame grilling.  That is way less than the $375 for the Campfire Café combination set...

and after you are done cooking, the tripod can be used to hang your lantern off the ground to light up the campsite.

Just my 2 cents

you can also heat up your DO with some lit briquettes on top of the lid or around the sides of the pot without having to use a stand....but i only have experience with the  tripod set up dave was referring to

If you are just tooking for a campsite cooker you might look at the "adjust-a-grill" They are reasonably priced. When you get to looking at larger stuff its pricy, you might consider talking to a rig welder. That would be my first choice, course I have a welder. After a few beers, a bunch of stories, he'll start pulling out materials he has laying around. It still will not be cheap.

Wow once again lots of help!  I'll need to explain more of what I'm looking for and if I'm even being realistic.

We have an RV now.  Went out a couple times and really thought "Hmmm while I'm sitting here drinking beer I should cook something".  So of course I thought of this website LOL!!

I like the swing away grill idea but mostly china crap out there.  As far as muti dutch ovens I'm thinking 2.  I have a tripod and like it for 1 DO but dont like the grill on it. Swings and spins around.

I've been looking around online and stores but haven't found anything solid. Tucson I'm thinking of a grill grate that I can rasie and lower- Woodcutter looks sweeeeet but I need portable. I'm afraid Foamheart is right about the welder.  I can weld but I'd like something that tried and true vs playing around. 

Again Thanks Everyone!  Always looking for opinions and thoughts!!!

OS

You might look into a fire pit ring with multi-level grill grate.  You can see versions of these in many state and federal parks.  Pilot Rock is one company that makes these.  They range from $139 and up, usually weighing 50 lbs or more.  Might be too heavy

Upon hearing more, have you checked with one of the huge RV sales sites? Seems I have seen a show somewhere that was about RV's and they had an bolt on attachment for carrying their removable flat grate adjustable grill for RV camping. I know when Pop sold his RV he was complaining about more and more places would no longer allow open flames other than designated areas. But that was long ago.

I believe I would check with one of those huge interstate RV sales lots.

Last edited:
Foamheart I have-

So I busted out the walllet and bought the Campfire Cafe Swing Away Grill.  ( No Link This Time Lol It's even listed in the No No's on this site, I guess I can't read that well ;)

I will be sure to give back a report for others but it will take a bit.

Thx Again Guys!!

OS

Foamheart I have-

So I busted out the walllet and bought the Campfire Cafe Swing Away Grill.  ( No Link This Time Lol It's even listed in the No No's on this site, I guess I can't read that well ;)

I will be sure to give back a report for others but it will take a bit.

Thx Again Guys!!

OS
Yes, please tell us how these work out.  Good luck!

Can't find many anymore. But one of the best things i ever found for cooking over fire / coals is an old metal wire milk / egg crate.

were made of heavy welded wire/metal rod..

Last ones i found at the grocery were used to ship eggs in.

Turn upside down and set in fire /over coals. set pot on top. You can turn right side up and cook any foil wrapped items inside of it.

The only thing I dont' like about the Camp Chef dutch ovens and such.  They are made in China....ya have to really dig to find that info tho.  BUT...they are nice looking.

Kat

I wanted to report back.

I did get it and looked it over.  It's solid and weighs enough ;)  The welds look good and will give it a try this weekend!!!

Only issue I have is I can't call anyone there you can only email. ( But better then talking to someone in China )

OS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky