Drying Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dewayne5565

Original poster
Jan 12, 2022
I just made a batch of Summer Sausage from a seasoning packet and was wondering if it is okay to hang it at room temp (60-70 degrees) to dry it out? Do I need to hang them in the fridge? I did at cure and encapsulated citric acid to the mix. If it is okay, can someone give me an idea on length of time to let it hang? I have 3 pound sticks. I know humidity is important (I have a closet in my basement for use). Thanks!

I normally hang mine over night in the basement . I've gone up to 7 days . My basement stays about 60 / 65 degrees year round . I just have to watch the humidity or the outside gets hard . Ways around that , but I found a better way .
Remove the casing and wrap in pink butcher paper and hold in the fridge . I do it with chubs of sausage and sticks . Non-coated food grade paper made in the USA .
Here's a link .
Some sticks . Out of the smoker and cooled overnight . Wrapped in paper then back in the fridge .
1663950387734.jpeg

This is after a couple weeks .
1663950482908.jpeg
This is after a month or more .
1663950529316.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky