Dry Milk and Soy Powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I also have the Kindle version, but the actual printed edition would have been handier a lot of times that I can think of. I will also get the actual book to add to the collection.
I just bought the kindle version this afternoon, I can increase the font size so I can read it :D

Reactions: DougE
I just bought the kindle version this afternoon, I can increase the font size so I can read it :D
Yeah, but the actual index at the back if the book seems to be missing in the Kindle version, unless I just haven't figured out how to get to it, which is entirely possible.

To be honest it is still in the sealed container it came in. Was thinking of giving it a try in some summer sausage later this week.

Yeah, but the actual index at the back if the book seems to be missing in the Kindle version, unless I just haven't figured out how to get to it, which is entirely possible.
After buying the kindle I now have both. Dave brought to my attention the search engine on kindle. I can search key phrases or words in the book. The index, in the book, to me, didn't seem that helpful.

Reactions: DougE
Kinda both. All that dry protein can oxidise. Best is to keep in sealed container. But I personally would use it well past that date without issue.

Here's a good trick for bulk stuff like TSM nfdm, split it up and vac seal in smaller units so it doesnt oxidise. Toss an oxygen absorber in there and seal.
You can get 120 of those absorberd for $10
I vac seal mine as well, works great!!

Reactions: Dave in AZ
After buying the kindle I now have both. Dave brought to my attention the search engine on kindle. I can search key phrases or words in the book. The index, in the book, to me, didn't seem that helpful.
I can think of a number of times where I could have gotten to the part of the book I was meaning to get to on a specific topic using the index, rather than using the search results, but we all do some things differently.

Reactions: Tinner340
If the NFDM is still sealed in the container it came in, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. It isn't that far past the "use by" date. I just started experimenting with binders and am using potato starch, which I can get in the grocery store. If you have a place that sells Bob's Red Mill products, they may likely have it.

Here is , in my opinion, a good example of why I use a binder in my sausages. This is some Kabanosy I pulled from the smoker tonight.
I course ground the pork fat and fine ground the pork while stuffing in sheep casings. I started my smoker at 125*f and ramped up 15*f every hour until I hit a smoker temp of185*f . I then let my Kabanosy finish at 158*f, internal temp.
With out a binder, I could not have raised my smoker to 185* without experiencing some fat-out. In the photo you can see the fat still intact with a good bind.
I know I don't have to have an internal temp that high(per fsic log reduction tables) but I do like the texture of the sausage when finished at that temp.

Attachments

• 20221212_213310.jpg
    20221212_213310.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 12
Some fine looking sticks. I've made several batches of summer sausage and most times get just a little fat between the sausage and casing. Going to try this and see how it turns out.

Some fine looking sticks. I've made several batches of summer sausage and most times get just a little fat between the sausage and casing. Going to try this and see how it turns out.
Great!! let us know how it turns out. I use non fat dry milk at 2% for a binder. I also us an Auber P.I.D. temp. control as the temperature is critical, especially at the top end of 185*f. At that temperature we are very close to fat-out, even with a binder.

Stay away from NFDM, lots of sugar. I use soy isolate and my sausages don't kick me out of ketosis. I am going to use some phosphates this year and see how it comes out.

Hey there, I'm new here, but I've been getting into sausage-making lately, and I love reading about everyone's experiences and tips
Welcome to the forum. Lots of help here.

Stop over at roll call and introduce yourself.

Sorry if this has been asked, and answered before, but I am getting conflicting information about powdered milk use in sausage making.
Almost everyone maintains that it should be Non-Fat, but some are maintaining that it should also be 'high heat', not 'low heat' at manufacturing (HHDM and LHDM).
Essentially, that some powders are best for drinking (low heat) with excellent flavor, but little binding properties, while others are best for baking (high heat), not as suitable for drinking, but better binding...
He points to the milk powders sold through sausage making stores, vs that sold through supermarkets.
Any input here?

I've never experimented with NFDM HH vs LH. People who know more than I say to use high heat, so I'll defer to them.

I can say that I rarely use any binders in my sausage, and don't really find a need for them. I have played around with potato starch a little, but getting a good bind can be achieved without binders.

The keys are to always keep the meat cold when grinding and mixing to avoid smearing fat ......... 30 to 32° range is what I shoot for, but slightly above is ok, and to mix well enough to get good protein extraction without over mixing. You're there when the farce gets really sticky ...... as in pulling the gloves off your hands if you use gloves.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky