Dry curing using a vacuum tumbler

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Kennedy

Original poster
Nov 28, 2021
I started a small bacon processing company in southeaster PA two years ago and am growing. Everything is dry cured for 8 days and I'm reaching capacity with 15 flavors curing. I'v thought about using a vacuum tumbler to expedite the process. Has anyone ever dry cured using a tumbler?

I've sped cured under vacuum with wet cures. But haven't for dry cures. Or bacon. Watching. Sounds interesting.

I’m pretty sure tumblers are used in pumped products like ham and bacon. In bacon for instance, it is pumped with a cure solution at 120ppm nitrite and must contain ascorbic, like sodium erythorbate as a cure accelerator. Then vacuum tumbled to massage or evenly distribute the cure solution through the meat. This speeds up the process.
I don’t think using a vacuum tumbler with dry rub would speed up the process.

Like others, I've only heard of vacuum tumblers used with injected meat products... I think the liquid is necessary to move the ingredients....

From Walton's,
Vacuum Tumbling
Vacuum Tumblers remove air from the barrel, and pull moisture and marinade to the food's core. The tumbling motion flips marinade continuously onto food, massaging it into the meat to produce moist, flavorful product every time.

Vacuum tumbling can be extremely beneficial in marinating meat for the added moisture retention plus the reduced time frame required to marinate meat.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Dry Cure Vacuum tumbled Bacon works. I've cut curing time from 8-9 days to 2.5 days with a Lance LT-5 variable speed vacuum tumbler (not cheap). After experimenting a few batches DCVT does work to speed up the curing process for us that sell CD bacon.

Sorry I can't give out the cure mix or flavoring measurements as they are proprietary to my bacon business. But, here is the process in a nut shell. The tumbler holds 50 lbs (don't over stuff it). The bellies are halved and rubbed down with curing salts just as I would curing for 8 day. They go in the pot, add flavoring, vacuum to Hg 15-17" and tumble for 3 hours. When tumbling is done they are put in poly bins and kept in the fridge for 2 days. They are firm same an 8 day cure. The texture and flavor profile is the same as 8 day.

Photos are BBQ Bacon getting ready for a 3hr tumble.
Finished Maple/Molasses. Left 8 day - Right 2.5 day. Blind taste test with 15 people the results favored the tumbled or could not tell between the two.

Attachments

• Photo Feb 12, 9 28 41 AM.jpg
    Photo Feb 12, 9 28 41 AM.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Photo Jan 28, 6 08 08 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 28, 6 08 08 PM.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: SmokinEdge
Dry Cure Vacuum tumbled Bacon works. I've cut curing time from 8-9 days to 2.5 days with a Lance LT-5 variable speed vacuum tumbler (not cheap). After experimenting a few batches DCVT does work to speed up the curing process for us that sell CD bacon.

Sorry I can't give out the cure mix or flavoring measurements as they are proprietary to my bacon business. But, here is the process in a nut shell. The tumbler holds 50 lbs (don't over stuff it). The bellies are halved and rubbed down with curing salts just as I would curing for 8 day. They go in the pot, add flavoring, vacuum to Hg 15-17" and tumble for 3 hours. When tumbling is done they are put in poly bins and kept in the fridge for 2 days. They are firm same an 8 day cure. The texture and flavor profile is the same as 8 day.

Photos are BBQ Bacon getting ready for a 3hr tumble.
Finished Maple/Molasses. Left 8 day - Right 2.5 day. Blind taste test with 15 people the results favored the tumbled or could not tell between the two.

Looks like he's only about himself and making money! Or at least he says he is...I'm 10 feet tall and bulletproof. Maybe he should take a step back and see what this forum is all about...people helping others learn and become better smokers. With only about 11 posts, that's not much help to others. But notice he said you're not much help daveomak daveomak but he did come back asking for more advice.

Paul, this is a friendly forum wanting to help others learn the art of smoking and curing and do it safely! We pride ourselves in that and many new people enjoy coming to this site to learn without any bs or crap you find on other forums. I'm trying to be polite and respectful to you and not rude. But not only is Dave a longstanding member here he also publishes almost all the food safety info here on this site...HE DESERVES SOME RESPECT! If you want to stay and help others learn you will be welcomed. If not then I'm sure one of the moderaters of this forum can help you out.

Ryan

Sorry Ryan he won't be replying to your post

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky