dry brine pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes sir you can dry brine a butt. Give it a good dose of kosher all around and let it sit in the fridge 18-24hr. Not sure there is much point to it as a butt is fatty and should come out plenty juicy on its own. Not gonna hurt anything though. Give it a go

It would probably be helpful to know what you intend to accomplish with this dry brine.

It would probably be helpful to know what you intend to accomplish with this dry brine.
I have always injected for extra moisture and flavor but do to outside circumstances am unable to inject and thought to try the dry brine.

I have always injected for extra moisture and flavor but do to outside circumstances am unable to inject and thought to try the dry brine.
In that case, I believe I'd go with a wet brine like you'd do for poultry. A dry brine only has the liquid that's already in the meat to work with, so it isn't going to add any, and depending, it could make it drier.

Personally, I'd just rub it down, smoke it, and hit it with a finishing sauce once it's pulled. You could also collect the drippings in a pan, defat said drippings, and mix back into the pulled meat, or even do both.

I dry brine mine now. I salt it heavy, set overnight in fridge and then add rub just before going in the smoker. I like it that way. Never used to brine then I tried it. Always do it brined now (dry brine kosher salt)

I've been wet brining butts for years using a recipe from Alton Brown. They come out perfect every time.
See sig below...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky