Dry aging questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Anthony21078

Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
I have started to convert a brand new blaze 4.5cu mini fridge for dry aging. I've had this fridge for a while but it was never used and not needed so it was wiped down with water/beach. Currently measuring temperature and humidity levels with a wifi thermometer/hygrometer and 2 standalone temp gauges for accuracy. With a completely empty fridge on the coldest setting over 24 hours, the lowest temp is 38.5 and highest is 40.7. Lowest humidity is 40%, highest 70%. I adjusted the screw on thermostat and added 3 small containers of pink salt and water to create a 1:1 slurry mix. Now I am seeing a low of 32 and a high of 38 with an average around 35. Humidity fluctuates a bit more with a low of 30%, high 80% with an average around 65%. I believe the temperature is most important and I think I am in the ballpark. Granted this is only air temp and I plan to use temp probes in a few glasses of water to get a more realistic temp of what the meat would be. How do these numbers look? Is it safe to assume these numbers might not mean anything once the meat is added?

Surprisingly, I can get 3 shelves in this unit with about 6-7 inches between the shelves. I think that would be enough space for 3 pieces of meat but if not, 2 definitely. I have aluminum trays acting as the shelf, stainless steel cooling racks on each shelf with 1 inch clearance between the tray and the rack. I attached a few pieces of thin string to the fridge ceiling and under each rack, turned on the small fan, put the camera in the fridge, closed the door an every string was moving slightly. My hope is that this shows there is airflow throughout the whole fridge. Does that test sound scientifically adequate?? :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

I could remove the trays and use the the standard wire shelves with a cooling rack on each shelf if that is better?

I also read to get a good jumpstart on a new dry aging fridge is to take an already dry aged piece of beef and wipe it all over the inside of the fridge? Is that really necessary?

Anything else I am missing here or need to know?

On a another note, the temperature data I was collecting became completely scewed when I turned the fan on and started monitoring again. Temps dropped another 4 degrees F overall so I have to adjust again. I am betting I will need to adjust further when the meat goes in.

The one thing I dont like about the mini fridge is the large variation in temp from high to low during cycling. I think I will be buying a external temp controller to keep the fridge on max and allow the controller to adjust the temp with maybe a 3 degree variation.

I was also thinking about using a small humidifier with built in hygrometer which should hopefully turn on when the fridge cycles and the humidity drops during the cooling cycle.

Reactions: daveomak
I'm gonna read that article... Looks interesting....
Be as selective as you can when it comes to trusting folks on the web... Some seem reputable but don't know squat...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky