Dry aged steaks.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You will be able to tell if there is a issue. Once you cu8t the steaks it will smell like a really beefy steak. If it smells bad/rancid/ect I would pitch it. But its not likely if you use the dry aging bags.

No no smell at all in the fridge.

Awesome! I had seen on Youtube "Guga Foods" uses the UMAi bags for dry aging, but he also has a dedicated meat fridge so a smell wouldn't be an issue for him. I couldn't find anywhere online that would say one way or the other, that was my holdup. I've got my normal fridge, and a beer fridge in the garage, I wouldn't want either one to have a bad smell. Haha. I'll need to snag some bags...

Guga's channel is what originally got me interested. It looked so easy. The only thing I will say is make sure you rotate the meat once in a while. I left mine the same the whole time and the back half froze a little. So next time I will spin it 180Deg every week.

Guga's channel is what originally got me interested. It looked so easy. The only thing I will say is make sure you rotate the meat once in a while. I left mine the same the whole time and the back half froze a little. So next time I will spin it 180Deg every week.

That's pretty funny then. Lol. I will definitely make sure to do that when I get to it. I'm planning to get stuff for steak and dry cured meats.

IMG_0930.JPG

Awesome! I had seen on Youtube "Guga Foods" uses the UMAi bags for dry aging, but he also has a dedicated meat fridge so a smell wouldn't be an issue for him. I couldn't find anywhere online that would say one way or the other, that was my holdup. I've got my normal fridge, and a beer fridge in the garage, I wouldn't want either one to have a bad smell. Haha. I'll need to snag some bags...

I'm 3 weeks into aging a whole strip loin with Umai in my beer fridge and haven't smelled a thing yet!! I'm testing my beer daily to be sure!!!

Looks great to me! from my experience, 30 days was not enough, and 60 days was overkill. 45= just right. Also I quit using the UMAi bags altogether. Bare Backed Naked is even better! See in my thread below in my sig.

Looks great to me! from my experience, 30 days was not enough, and 60 days was overkill. 45= just right. Also I quit using the UMAi bags altogether. Bare Backed Naked is even better! See in my thread below in my sig.

I think 30 - 45 days is good... I wouldnt want any stronger of a dry aged flavor.

Reactions: browneyesvictim
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky