Dry aged New York steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
These were on sale a few weeks ago around $6.00lb so I picked up a couple (boneless). One to slice into steaks the other to dry age in the fridge then cut into steaks. I wrapped this one in collagen sheets and put in in the fridge for just about 3 weeks. These were maybe choice grade. The dry time made the meat darken up and get a bit sticky to the touch. The smell, while mild was very pleasant to a carnivore.
Fried these up in duck fat. Steaks seasoned with simple SPG. Then finished with butter. They went over into medium range but were still delicious for a sub grade meat.
The collagen sheets work just as well as Umaidry bags and cheaper. Posting this just for informational purposes. Thanks for stopping by.

View attachment 518790
This could solve a problem I have. I want to smoke a brisket but have a couple of restrictions.

1) I have bought a big brisket at costco once and trimmed it down, it was just too much work for me and way too much meat, there are only two eaters here. i will not do that again. But, every once in a while costco will have a flat pre cut and ready to be cooked, way less meat.
2) I live in Seattle area and one never knows ahead of time when it will not rain. One might know a day ahead, sometimes. And the chances of running out and getting one of the flats described above is very slim on any given day.

I have never smoked a brisket before and I cant wait to do it. This idea of dry aging may just be an answer. Buy a flat when available and dry age it for a couple of weeks, then on the best day in the next two weeks I can smoke it. All problems solved.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SE, Nice looking steaks and I like the collagen vs. Umai info ! I found 22"x24" collagen sheets (pack of five ) for 11.95 plus shipping at Waltons.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
Is there any reason this concept can't be applied to lamb. Every year for new years we roast a leg of lamb and I buy it a few days before hand so it's fresh. Can I just buy it tomorrow and start the aging and it will get 3 weeks in before the cook?

Is there any reason this concept can't be applied to lamb. Every year for new years we roast a leg of lamb and I buy it a few days before hand so it's fresh. Can I just buy it tomorrow and start the aging and it will get 3 weeks in before the cook?
Absolutely.

These were on sale a few weeks ago around $6.00lb so I picked up a couple (boneless). One to slice into steaks the other to dry age in the fridge then cut into steaks. I wrapped this one in collagen sheets and put in in the fridge for just about 3 weeks. These were maybe choice grade. The dry time made the meat darken up and get a bit sticky to the touch. The smell, while mild was very pleasant to a carnivore.
Fried these up in duck fat. Steaks seasoned with simple SPG. Then finished with butter. They went over into medium range but were still delicious for a sub grade meat.
The collagen sheets work just as well as Umaidry bags and cheaper. Posting this just for informational purposes. Thanks for stopping by.

View attachment 518790
View attachment 518791
View attachment 518792
View attachment 518793
View attachment 518794
do you have a link to where I can buy them?

Missed this thread first go around...glad it went back to the top. I'll keep my eyes open for some cheap steaks to try this as I have a bunch of collagen sheets on hand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky