Dry age trimmings - do you use them?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rpeters48

Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Im starting my first dry age (Ribeye) tomorrow using umai bags and i have heard in a few videos i have watched that people will use the trimming in sausage or burgers. I was curious what people on here might use them for and if making burger was other fresh meat or anything else added and was the final product worth using the trimming?

I think that depends wholly on the length of the dry age. It's just my wife and me, no kids or pets, so I don't go to any extreme lengths to achieve sanitary technique. It's sort-of a given. We don't stand with the fridge open, and the ribeye simply sits bone-side down, on top of a paper towel that has a piece of foil underneath it; and it remains uncovered for the duration. For the first few days, the paper towel/foil gets changed out. Then it's sufficiently dry that the foil/towel on the 4th day remains for up to 3 or 4 weeks, sometimes. When it goes that long, the trimmings are WAY too leathery and darned near black to be good for use in anything. I throw them out. But hey, that's just me.

If the duration of your age is a week or less, then if the outside is still somewhat red, I'd probably throw it on the grill. . . worth a try. Any longer, useless.

Im starting my first dry age (Ribeye) tomorrow using umai bags and i have heard in a few videos i have watched that people will use the trimming in sausage or burgers. I was curious what people on here might use them for and if making burger was other fresh meat or anything else added and was the final product worth using the trimming?

I've dry aged a lot of rib eyes, and other cuts, over the past years, normally going 45 days, and once used the trimmings to make beef stock and it was horrible. The trimmings are trash and should be treated as such.

I couldn't agree more, just trash them.
At first that is hard to do, cause you spent a lot of money on the meat, but trust me they are not worth fooling with.
Al

Agreed. The trimmings get tossed. I have saved them for dog treats, also ground it up to put in their food, but even their digestive system rebelled. Lets just say there was lots of cleanup requiring the carpet cleaner. :(

Now the dry aging has been a HUGE success! I started with the UMAI bags, and learned they were better left naked. Check out my thread index for more info.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky