Dried sourdough starter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good afternoon!
The last time I did a couple of sourdough loaves, after taking what I needed out of the jar I dried the discard (fully active).
It took about 3 days in the oven with the oven light on and off. (thank you forktender for the idea).
dried starter.jpg
My question is: How fine do I need to "crumble" it and how would you do that?
I'd like to try it out sometime soon and if it works I may do it with all my late stage discards....

That is pretty thick. I use a spice grinder but can use what ever. A rolling pin will work. I use Carl's way to revive but start with a teaspoon. Will be ready in couple days.

I use a cheap "Mr Coffee" grinder for whole spices and I thought a couple of bumps with that would work but I didn't want to damage the little yeasties LOL!
I'll give it a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky