Dried Jalapeno for summer sausage - Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I picked up a half-pound of dried jalapeno's for my next batch of jalapeno/cheddar summer sausage. I have used jarred/drained jalapenos so far...but after taking a sausage making class in Hermann, MO, they convinced me dried was the way to go (binds with the meat better).

QUESTION:
  • How many grams or ounces of dried jalapenos per pound of meat should I use (or percentage of meat weight)?
  • Should I screen out the seeds?
    • They seem to settle at the bottom of the sack...so this can be accomplished pretty easily.

Attachments

• 915Gg+i8+EL._SL1500_.jpg
    915Gg+i8+EL._SL1500_.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 104
I'd certainly never match my advice against someone from Hermann Wurst Haus , but I'll give my opinion .
I've had G & W meats make my deer sausage for years . They always left the seeds in the hot version . Never cared for that . Bad mouth feel for me . I would take them out .

Reactions: zwiller
I'd certainly never match my advice against someone from Hermann Wurst Haus , but I'll give my opinion .
I've had G & W meats make my deer sausage for years . They always left the seeds in the hot version . Never cared for that . Bad mouth feel for me . I would take them out .
I was already leaning in that direction - I appreciate your input!

I've had lots of guys venison jap/cheese SS and never have been impressed with any of it. I think the dried japs is more of a visual thing myself. That's why I picked up jap powder. Never got around to using it yet tho. That said, dried and ground are same I think weight wise so I'd start with my standard starting add: .5% then I would smell. Keep bumping .5% until you are happy. Maybe also a fry test.

I just called Hermann Wurst House and spoke to the owner and he said to:
  • start with 1 oz. of dried jalapeno's for 25 pounds of meat
  • remove the seeds - he confirmed they made a bad texture and the seeds do get stuck in your teeth.
  • hydrate before adding to the meat - he said it would double in weight
He said ^^^this^^^ was a good dosage rate for a test batch and to adjust the dosage rate going forward

Reactions: zwiller and chopsaw
if you are going to rehydrate the dried jap, why start with dried jap? could you get the same by just seeding some fresh jalapenos and then popping them in a dehydrator or low temp over to remove a bit of the excess moisture? is this a convenience thing?

I just called Hermann Wurst House and spoke to the owner and he said to:
  • start with 1 oz. of dried jalapeno's for 25 pounds of meat
  • remove the seeds - he confirmed they made a bad texture and the seeds do get stuck in your teeth.
  • hydrate before adding to the meat - he said it would double in weight
He said ^^^this^^^ was a good dosage rate for a test batch and to adjust the dosage rate going forward
Good info. BTW 1oz:25lbs = .25% Hydrating does seem silly but hey they're the pros.

This is what my gut feeling told me , but I wasn't sure .
I always look at things that take away moisture , and figure they need to bring their own .
Thanks for the follow up .
I assumed they would rehydrate from moisture in meat or water added to mix?

I assumed they would rehydrate from moisture in meat or water added to mix?
That's my point . Adding in dry actually takes away from the moisture .
If you rehydrate first , they bring the extra moisture needed with them .

That's my point . Adding in dry actually takes away from the moisture .
If you rehydrate first , they bring the extra moisture needed with them .
When I did the class, we put them in dry and added Heffeweizen for moisture to the sausage, japs, cheddar and spices...and it turned out fine. I plan to do the same except I will use water.

FWIW - I did not dislike the flavor from the German beer in the finished hard salami and in the test patty ... but I prefer using water better.

Reactions: tallbm
Mike at Wurst Haus is the best. I'm wondering (and don't be offended) why you aren't using your own homegrown jalapeños for your sausage? I agree with everyone who says no seeds.

I usually dehydrate our peppers and freeze, ziploc, or vac seal for later. Even better if they are smoked first.

Mike at Wurst Haus is the best. I'm wondering (and don't be offended) why you aren't using your own homegrown jalapeños for your sausage? I agree with everyone who says no seeds.

I usually dehydrate our peppers and freeze, ziploc, or vac seal for later. Even better if they are smoked first.
Convenience.

I haven't used dried jalepeno, but use dried crushed red pepper frequently, lots of seeds.

You could grind them to a finer consistency, but I never do. No complaints.

As far as sticking to the teeth, can't recall it happening.

Doesn't seem to happen much when whole seeds are used on pizza either.

I've had lots of guys venison jap/cheese SS and never have been impressed with any of it. I think the dried japs is more of a visual thing myself. That's why I picked up jap powder. Never got around to using it yet tho. That said, dried and ground are same I think weight wise so I'd start with my standard starting add: .5% then I would smell. Keep bumping .5% until you are happy. Maybe also a fry test.
I have used the powder from sm and could never get any heat the more I added changed the flavor , but never added heat. I have used dehydrated from waltons also not much heat but did not change the flavor like the powder did. Red pepper flakes in my brats give it a nice heat but not the jalapeño flavor. Fresh in the summer sausage seemed to work the best but with any fresh peppers it’s hard to get consistency good luck

I ended up making 20 pounds of sausage over the 4th. 10 pounds was with the dried jalapenos.

I went with 0.5 oz. for 10 pounds of meat - a little higher than what was recommended by Mike from the Wurst Haus (0.4 oz./10 pounds meat). Test patties were spot on (pic below). Resting in the fridge right now. We'll see how it looks sliced this evening.

Also - I just put the dried jalapenos directly in the meat and did not hydrate them first. They hydrated just fine with the meat moisture and the little bit of water I added to the mix.

I will post something later.

Attachments

• IMG_9197.jpg
    IMG_9197.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 96
Dried jalapeños- l would grind the seeds and dried jalapeños into a fine powder makes for a Spicer seasoning.

I grow jalapenos and cayenne peppers, mix at rate of maybe 3 jals to 1 cayenne, dehyrdate completely, and grind into a fine powder. This is my go to for adding heat to any sausage. I'd say we use 1/2 tsp per pound of meat for stuff we share and 1tsp per pound for stuff we eat in house as my wife and I both love spicy.

So I thought I would add this here....I bought 3# of whole fresh jalapenos. After cutting the stems off, slicing in half then scraping the seeds out I then diced the jalapenos to dry in my dehydrator. Probably 2.5# at this point. Upon drying I weighed the dried jalapenos....81.9 grams. So that's 27.3 grams of dried jalapenos in 1# of fresh jalapenos.

Attachments

• IMG_20230119_201700.jpg
    IMG_20230119_201700.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 51
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky