Dr Pepper Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininidaho

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
N. Idaho
Boston Butts on sale at local grocer $1.28 lb. Gonna celebrate spring with some pulled pork! 7 pounder, seasoned with Chupacabra rub and injected with cherry dr pepper. Rubbed it down and vac sealed for 12 hours, then injected and put on the Akorn with just some hardwood lump as wife doesn't care for too much smoke. One of the best butts I ever made was injected with the cherry dr pepper, get some more pics up later if I get the chance.

pork.jpg

That sounds like a pretty tasty injection. Never thought of that one. Can't wait to see the results.

That looks great! I like your injection idea. I came up with this Finishing Sauce a couple of years ago. Gives a similar flavor profile...JJ

POP Sauce

2C Cola or other Soda/Pop
1/2C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Rub, whatever's on the meat.
1T Mustard
1T Molasses
1T Colgin Hickory Liquid Smoke (optional)

Add all to a pot and bring to a simmer, for 5 minutes.

For Finishing Sauce, keep warm and add to meat.

For Marinade or Injection, cool for 30 minutes the refrigerate until cold.

Marinate or Inject meat and rest overnight.

For Glaze, reduce over low heat until syrupy. Brush over grilling meat and caramelize.

Enough for one average butt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky