Down Home Drums & Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I picked up a pack of drums and the yams today will most likely toss them on the smoker on the 3rd and reheat on the 4th.
I grabbed way more chicken then we could eat, so I plan on pulling the leftovers for pulled chicken sandwiches.:emoji_thumbsup:

Sounds yum! Having extra is always a good plan. I think we paid like .89/lb for the drums, just crazy good for the money. Pulled chicken sandwiches sounds good.....except ours are all gone.....We haven't planned the "4th" meal yet, but will be looking at meat tonight to see what looks good!

That is a "no leftovers" meal...Like!

I agree with broiling them in the oven for a couple of minutes to make the skin perfect.

Thanks uncle eddie! There was just no way we could eat every thing the first night but they were "GONE' the second night!

Chicken under the broiler is just like reverse searing a tri-tip to me. It only takes a few minutes but it just takes them to the next level in taste.

cornman & TomKnollRFV thanks for the likes!

Reactions: forktender
JC in GB, thanks for the like, it is appreciated!

Not much of a sweet spud guy. But the bird looks A++. Getting white corn on the cob up this way is rare.

Not much of a sweet spud guy. But the bird looks A++. Getting white corn on the cob up this way is rare.

Thanks Steve H! Drums and wings this way are a common occurrence around our house!

We only get about a month when we can get the good white sweet corn so we eat a bunch of it when we can!

We do a lot of Yukon Golds so the sweet spuds are like a “crop rotation” for us. But sweet spuds with cinnamon and sugar the really more like a desert :-)

Marveous meal. Big like!

Thanks disco!

This chicken looks amazing! Definitely going to have to try this.

It seems like in the last few posts I have read about chicken, the preferred IT is 170-175 (instead of the safely cooked of 165) for wings/drums/thighs. Is this the same concept when you are cooking pork butt and pull it at 203 instead of the safely cooked at 145. Also is this the IT preferred for boneless skinless breasts?

Absolutely my favorite chicken parts! Outstanding! B

Thanks bdskelly! Chicken is one of those meats that is not top shelf at the store but it can be truly top shelf when done right!

This chicken looks amazing! Definitely going to have to try this.

It seems like in the last few posts I have read about chicken, the preferred IT is 170-175 (instead of the safely cooked of 165) for wings/drums/thighs. Is this the same concept when you are cooking pork butt and pull it at 203 instead of the safely cooked at 145. Also is this the IT preferred for boneless skinless breasts?

HHyak, the IT on wings, thighs, and drums is about texture and “treatment” of the fat content. And yes just the same for pork butts etc....However for breast’s they are actually perfect at 155 but for safety I always cook to 160 and let rest over to 165. They can be safe at 155 if they are held for the right amount of time at 155. Taking a breast to 175 will start the drying process and change the texture to leaning to stringy....

IE moisture starts to leave meat at IT 155 to 160....ie right with the stall temp...

Reactions: HHYak
Thank you for the clarification on that!

Your welcome! There are many opinions or personal "likes" on how things are cooked. When it comes to chicken it is probably the most varied meat in how it can be prepared. I know I have about 20 different cook books and most if not all vary on how to cook a chicken or chicken parts.

I cook wings, drums, thighs, like this all the time so its really easy and the rub (which is from Jeff Phillips book, which I recommend) I use makes for very crispy tasty chicken skin.

As an FYI, an instant read thermometer, a bbq thermometer, kitchen timer and a note book are in my opinion the 4 critical tools each cook should have. The note book or cook book (write in it!!!) is were you detail out your cook and take notes. IE for example, like this cook....since I have done it many many times, I have the timing down really good, ie it starts withe the prep (including the size and thickness of the pieces) then the cook temp followed up with the "tested" time and verified with IT with the instant read. If you take notes as you go you take the knowledge into the next cook till it is refined to near perfection. Then you practice consistency. One good cook is cool, but do it 5 times in a row and you are a BBQ hero!

Reactions: HHYak
Just one of those other examples of the versatility of chicken!!!!

Marinated in a salted buttermilk bath & dredged in smoked paprika, garlic & onion powder, red pepper, salt & pepper seasoned flour!
E7F76377-4595-4BB8-A11A-A0F278CB6C4E.jpeg

Deep fry at 338 for 13-14 min to IT 180 :-)

Drum money!
6452A3B4-D504-4771-A8CE-62781494F8E4.jpeg

Thigh money!
13BC5E63-DDB3-4560-9583-B8965B9B8037.jpeg

Just heaven on a plate!

And now this cooking style can also make that heaven above on cloud 9 with tonight’s desert!!!!

The wife’s creation!!!!
2E062D8E-1DC0-4A31-92D5-BDC60E26F0F5.jpeg
B9AF2ECC-C89F-48DC-A115-45BE8AAE2D47.jpeg

Sorry for the off topic post but I’m a little “tipsy” on goodness and had to share :emoji_wink:

It’s just a good thing we only break out the deep fryer once ever 6 months!

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SecondHandSmoker, this is a late thanks for the likes! It's bad looking at the pics of fryed chicken and donuts.....makes me hungry!

mfatty500, thanks for the like on this old post. It makes me want to smoke some bird parts again!!!!

Pushok thanks the like is much appreciated!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky