Dove season!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If your company wants to eat, I think they will enjoy watching you shop for groceries !!!
lol I like the way you think!  I just talked to them.. they are bringing their shotguns.   Should be an interesting evening. 
biggrin.gif

I think i would slit my wrist if i couldn't dove hunt. I went out yesterday and got another limit. Looks like my dove fatty(s) is well on the way..

Dove sauce piquant,

sear dove breast in 1 cup hot oil and remove from pan reduce heat to med.  add 1 cup flour and make a roux. constantly stir flour and oil as it browns / when it gets to a caramel color add 1 cup diced onions and 1 cup diced celery and  2 cloves minced garlic keep stirring!

the roux will turn a chocolate color. as soon as it turns the chocolate color add 2 cups hot water. keep stiring! keep adding hot water till you get the gravy to the thickness you desire. keep stiring!

add the dove breast back to the pot and stir.  bring to a boil . Reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot.

open pot and stir about every 10 - 15 min. let simmer till dove breast are tender.

serve over some rice w/ some good bread to sop up the extra gravy.

Last edited:

Dove sauce piquant,

sear dove breast in 1 cup hot oil and remove from pan reduce heat to med.  add 1 cup flour and make a roux. constantly stir flour and oil as it browns / when it gets to a caramel color add 1 cup diced onions and 1 cup diced celery and  2 cloves minced garlic keep stirring!

the roux will turn a chocolate color. as soon as it turns the chocolate color add 2 cups hot water. keep stiring! keep adding hot water till you get the gravy to the thickness you desire. keep stiring!

add the dove breast back to the pot and stir.  bring to a boil . Reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot.

open pot and stir about every 10 - 15 min. let simmer till dove breast are tender.

serve over some rice w/ some good bread to sop up the extra gravy.
 Of course I'm not from Louisiana, but this sounds just like the way I make gumbo.. I haven't thought of dove in a gumbo but you have my ears perked now.

I do have one question, Bob. My mom always told me to add cold to hot when making a gravy from a roux. Why the hot water in your recipe? Doesn't that make the roux clump up?

Wow,

That wouldn't fly too well in PA. I think you can hunt just about anywhere in PA, with permission from the land owner (except in city limits). Then we have millions of State Game Lands, where all you do is pull all 4 wheels off the road, walk in & hunt. Some of those places even have parking lots designed just for hunters.

I think hunters in PA help make the rules.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Bear
South Dakota has small parking lots for some of their walk-in land too.  Never been dove hunting, but the pheasant hunting there is great.  I do well with dogs, but don't usually limit out when they've been heavily walked.  When I need a pick-me-up, I head to a couple private spots that you could limit out with a cheap sling shot.  I think I'm going to have branch out into the dove game after reading all of these recipes. 

South Dakota has small parking lots for some of their walk-in land too.  Never been dove hunting, but the pheasant hunting there is great.  I do well with dogs, but don't usually limit out when they've been heavily walked.  When I need a pick-me-up, I head to a couple private spots that you could limit out with a cheap sling shot.  I think I'm going to have branch out into the dove game after reading all of these recipes. 
LOL--- a pheasant around here is about as rare as an albino Black Bear. We got plenty of deer, Turkeys, doves, black bears, and just about everything else. We have been working on building an Elk herd for years. I just looked to see how many acres there are in PA that are set aside for hunting (walk-in land).

Found this:

There are more than 1.5 MILLION acres, and both the Bureau of Forestry and the Pennsylvania Game Commission are increasing their holdings each year. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky