Dove poppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CTXSmokeLover

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
Central TX
A quick and easy post for a quick and easy snack. September is dove hunting season in TX and dove jalapeno poppers are one of our favorite treats to cook up while football is on. Super simple and delicious. Here's a small batch from this past weekend. Jalapenos, cream cheese, bacon, & dove breast meat.

Dove
IMG_0243.jpg

Sliced and seeded jalapenos about to be stuffed with cream cheese
IMG_0244.jpg

Dove meat seasoned with Meat Church Holy Cow
IMG_0245.jpg

Bacon wrapped stuffed with cream cheese and dove meat
IMG_0246.jpg

1-1.5 hrs on the offset
IMG_0254.jpg

I meant to get a cross section pic but they vanished before I had a chance. Curious to know what other people stuff in poppers in their part of the world?

Thanks for stopping by!

Wow Tyler!! Dove is some fine eating and those sound amazing. Sorry you missed the cross cut pic but we understand how things can get crazy when you have a bunch of starving people around :emoji_wink: Very nice job sir!!

Robert

The filet mignot of the sky delicious!
I've heard Sandhill Crane called that. Since they are pretty thick here, we cannot shoot them in NE.

May need to try dove poppers with cream cheese. Usually I just wrap slice of jalapeno with dove and bacon. Maybe add bbq sauce at the end.

Reactions: CTXSmokeLover
Heck yeah man. Love them. We normally soak ours in red or white wine, throw a hunk of jalapeno and cream cheese inside, wrap in bacon and grill. Now that I know about abt's I'll give that a shot. Sadly doves have been hit or miss last 10 years. We used to slay them and have a big dove cook. Miss that. Nice work bud

They look good
Thanks, they are super tasty and not too much of a hassle
very nice, great color!
Thanks tbern!
Wow Tyler!! Dove is some fine eating and those sound amazing. Sorry you missed the cross cut pic but we understand how things can get crazy when you have a bunch of starving people around :emoji_wink: Very nice job sir!!

Robert
Thanks for the kind words as always Robert. I agree, dove are simply delicious. They don't yield a ton of meat but they sure are tasty and a lot of fun to hunt.
The filet mignot of the sky delicious!
Agreed Dan! Combined with bacon and cream cheese is a winning combo
I've heard Sandhill Crane called that. Since they are pretty thick here, we cannot shoot them in NE.

May need to try dove poppers with cream cheese. Usually I just wrap slice of jalapeno with dove and bacon. Maybe add bbq sauce at the end.
I have heard Sandhill Crane called ribeye of the sky and have a buddy who has hunted them and swears it is true. They are in season in the fall here and on my list of things to hunt/eat. Someday!
Never had dove. Now I kinda wanna.
Highly recommend babydoc
Dang'it man, those little Dove Poppers look delicious.
I haven't had dove in many years, now my mouth is watering remembering the taste.
Very nice.
Thanks Chile! They are always a nice little treat this time of year
Heck yeah man. Love them. We normally soak ours in red or white wine, throw a hunk of jalapeno and cream cheese inside, wrap in bacon and grill. Now that I know about abt's I'll give that a shot. Sadly doves have been hit or miss last 10 years. We used to slay them and have a big dove cook. Miss that. Nice work bud
Interesting about the wine Jake, I like that idea. You really can't go wrong with them, no matter what you stuff inside. Delicious little morsels and a heck of a fun hunt when they are flying. The hunting hasn't been great here the last couple of years honestly but we always manage to get a good amount regardless. Been eating them as long as I can remember

Thanks for all the likes and comments gents, much appreciated.

We do dove this way also for a long time now. First it was just wrapped in bacon and smoked then it progressed from there. These are absolutely delicious! Nice work on the post. Big like.

Man I’d love to eat a couple of these! I gotta get my hunting buddies to bring me some dove
Definitely worth a shot if you get your hands on some dove
We do dove this way also for a long time now. First it was just wrapped in bacon and smoked then it progressed from there. These are absolutely delicious! Nice work on the post. Big like.
Thanks SmokinEdge! I've been having these since I was pretty young after dove hunts and have tried a few different variations and they were all pretty tasty

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky