Dove Nuggets of Love

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinbarrles

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Got a few dove last weekend and rolled up some dove nuggets for the Texans game today. Simple bacon, cream cheese, fresh jalapeno, salt and pepper. And of course dove!
20191013_112656.jpg
20191013_113444.jpg
20191013_120501.jpg
20191013_123155.jpg

Interesting. Never had Dove. I wonder if it's the same tasting as squab.

Never had squab but if its domestic, then dove is probably "gamier". Dove meat when first cleaned is a red color like most wild game. Mine looks pink in the pictures from soaking almost a week in water.

Some don't care for it, I love it!

Never had squab but if its domestic, then dove is probably "gamier". Dove meat when first cleaned is a red color like most wild game. Mine looks pink in the pictures from soaking almost a week in water.

Some don't care for it, I love it!

The Squab I had was wild. Straight from the local farmers field. And the diet between the two shouldn't be too different. Which got me to thinking about the taste.

Looks great, the only thing I can say is charcoal and some shag bark off of a hickory tree lol.

Reactions: smokinbarrles
Dove are Awesome!!!
Used to eat a lot of them, when my Dad was still around.
Pretty much quit when we lost him.
Only one hunting yet is Bear Jr, and usually only for Deer & Bear.

Bear Jr had a Buddy who used to pluck Doves & make the whole things, just like Little Bitty Thanksgiving Turkeys!! No I never had one of them, but I saw Pics. LOL

Bear

That looks great! Dove is touchy to cook. When does your season start down there. Missouri is 9/1 for two months. First big cold front they're gone. Canada's are starting to push through

All of our dove hunting grounds were flooded this year...no dove for me. Deep sigh!

Your poppers look great though! Like!

P.S. We are still flooded a bit even though the press no longer follows it. Water should be back to normal about the first of the year. This happened (RR bridge getting wiped out by a log jam and flood waters) a little under two weeks ago:

looks great , and that's the way to cook 'em . Haven't dove hunted in years . Nice work .

Thanks for the kind words everyone! They were mighty tasty. Got these at our place in west texas while prepping for deer season. Use to hunt locally almost every weekend during dove season but lost our leases. So now they are even more of a treat.

Last edited:
That looks great! Dove is touchy to cook. When does your season start down there. Missouri is 9/1 for two months. First big cold front they're gone. Canada's are starting to push through

We have two seasons Sept through early November And then dec 20 through Jan 14.

All of our dove hunting grounds were flooded this year...no dove for me. Deep sigh!

Your poppers look great though! Like!

P.S. We are still flooded a bit even though the press no longer follows it. Water should be back to normal about the first of the year. This happened (RR bridge getting wiped out by a log jam and flood waters) a little under two weeks ago:

Dang! Hope it clears out. They will be back!

Dove are Awesome!!!
Used to eat a lot of them, when my Dad was still around.
Pretty much quit when we lost him.
Only one hunting yet is Bear Jr, and usually only for Deer & Bear.

Bear Jr had a Buddy who used to pluck Doves & make the whole things, just like Little Bitty Thanksgiving Turkeys!! No I never had one of them, but I saw Pics. LOL

Bear

Iv plucked a few and some ducks. For dove it's not really worth if for me. Not much meat on those little legs.

Love me some Dove.
Those look mighty tasty, nice job on the cook.
And a big congrats on the Carousel ride.

Truth be told I've seldom eaten any game I didn't care for, except maybe for a few hogs.

Thanks Chile! I love wild game, the hogs can get a little funky depending on their diet, definitely had some bad. The ones we have in W Tx are delicious and fatty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky