Don't know what to say....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Got invited to an anniversary dinner on Wednesday over at Lindas house. Dave & Sue are having what very well be there last anniversary, Dave has a terminal lung ailment. He is past the transplant stage. What do you say to someone in this predicament?

Just be the same friend to him you always have. Let him take the lead. He may want to just have a friend and talk about anything but his condition, or he may want to do nothing but talk about it. There is no right thing to say, your presence now and in the past is what matters.

TT gave great advice. Since you've been invited you are loved and valued. Be yourself. Have fun when it happens. Be prepared to just listen. Guys tend to want to fix things. Don't.

When medications gave my mom a few additional months, she had accepted the inevitable and just wanted normal. A cherished memory is her asking me to smoke some medical marijuana with her so she could eat. I hadn't done anything like that in decades and it was her first time. Getting stoned with my mom then watching her enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner is a memory that still makes me laugh. She passed a week later.

Everyone has a similar story, but everyone is different. Feel honored that you were invited and let your friend know your support by your attendance. As no boundaries said, we men always want to fix things and that can't be done. Your friend knows exactly how you feel. Confidence, friendship and support are your gifts to him. Good luck and God bless you, Joe.

You need to be there for him now more than ever, I mean, he's your friend and all who suddenly had this ailment. Just support him. Ailments are bad, sure, but you don't let something like that soil your friendship.

Cooking is like gambling,  you never know what you'll get.

Our dinner went very well. Dave looks great. Started talking about motorcycles....we were both laughing so hard we were crying...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky