Dolmades, stuffed grape leaves.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I love dolma
You did pretty good rolling those ... numbers. If you want to repeat and not fat finger, you can find inexpensive rollers on Amazon.
I suck at rolling them, too.
Good recipe. I prefer a touch of greek oregano and garlic and way less salt.
I want to try a batch with a wild rice blend.
Do they look anything like this?
1613026292628.png

I grew up in Emerald Triangle in NorCal I learned to roll by hand from an hippy chick that used to babysit me. I'm sure I could cross over to the grape leafs with ease.

Those look tasty Steve my aunts make them every yr around the holidays they are like crack too me.
A big blob of Tzatziki and some fresh lemon juice and its go time. (I can't stand rolling them though.)

Last edited:
Steve H Steve H

Steve, not so bad for your first attempt.

You will get better at rolling the leaves with more practice. Try to keep them as tight as possible.

The Krinos leaves are a bit thin compared to the Pandora or Yergat so are harder to roll tightly.

If you can find Pandora or Yergat, stick with those.

Take care,

John

Thanks John. I'll look for the other leaves.

I love dolma
You did pretty good rolling those ... numbers. If you want to repeat and not fat finger, you can find inexpensive rollers on Amazon.
I suck at rolling them, too.
Good recipe. I prefer a touch of greek oregano and garlic and way less salt.
I want to try a batch with a wild rice blend.

I've seen these. But was dubious if they really worked.

Steve those dolmades look pretty tasty to me. I’ll be honest, I’ve never had them but sure would eat a few of those.

I’ll have to swing by the Wegmans olive bar and see if they have them. I’m curious to try them.

Done! A couple split. Probably because I wrapped them too tight. I let them cool completely. Then ate about a dozen of them. These are 10x better then the store bought version.
Thanks again John! I will be making these again. By the way. How do you store them? The ones I get at the olive bar are soaking in olive oil. Is that what you do?
Steve,

The best way to store them is to place them in an inexpensive storage container with a lid and without anything added. They are moist enough and are usually eaten cold so no addition liquids are needed.

I usually use plastic Rubbermaid or Ziplock containers.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Enjoy,

John

Reactions: Steve H
And here we are with round 2. Following John's advice. I got the Krinos leaves. And wrapped them tighter. I also added a touch more sliced lemons to this batch. I ended up with about 70 rolls. I packed up 60. The rest was lunch. I am very happy with these. They are nice and firm. And I only had a few leaves that ripped. John's recipe beats the ones at Wegmans hands down! I packed these with some extra light olive oil.
IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0427.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky