Dolmades, stuffed grape leaves.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Today I got around to making some dolmades, about 50 total. It should have been more. But the grape leaves I got were small and torn. This is using BandCollector BandCollector recipe that he was generous enough to share. I went by it to the letter.

IMG_0271.jpg

Got the goods lined up and ready.

IMG_0273.jpg

Stuffing is almost done. The smell is very nice!

IMG_0274.jpg

In a ice bath cooling while I get the grape leaves ready.

IMG_0277.jpg

Wrapped. And in the pot. The leaves and my wrapping abilities were not quite up to the task.

IMG_0278.jpg

Done! A couple split. Probably because I wrapped them too tight. I let them cool completely. Then ate about a dozen of them. These are 10x better then the store bought version.
Thanks again John! I will be making these again. By the way. How do you store them? The ones I get at the olive bar are soaking in olive oil. Is that what you do?

They look nice. I love cooking with leaves. Grape, banana, cabbage....

JC :emoji_cat:

That was the first for me. Oops, except for cabbage. But how could you screw up cabbage rolls. Those leaves are the size of blankets compared to the grape leaves I had to work with.

Reactions: JC in GB
Hey, they may not be Yaya's but close enough as far as your Mouth and Stomach are concerned! I'd sit with you, eat those and drink Ouzo. YAMAS!...JJ

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
My Search is not giving me the Recipe. Can you share?... JJ

I grew up on grape leaves my mother made them and my grandmother grew them. I have never made them myself, but I have an authentic family recipe.

Steve...nice looking stuff. I've had those made by a friend''s mother several years ago and loved them. Never tried making them myself but I may very well have to look around to see if I can find grape leaves.

But how could you screw up cabbage rolls.

Not sure how but I managed to not long ago trying to make cabbage rolls. Think I just over cooked them prior to wrapping. Cannot remember the actual name but another friend's mom, who is Polish, made them and they were without doubt one of the best things I've ever eaten. I'd give anything to get hands on her recipe.

Robert

My Search is not giving me the Recipe. Can you share?... JJ

Johns’ Stuffed Grape Leaves AKA Bone Collector​

1 Cup Olive Oil

9 ½ Cups Chopped Onions

¼ Cup +1/8 Cup Dry Dill

¼ Cup Dry Mint

2 T Salt

A Little Pepper

¾ Cup Lemon Juice

2 ½ Cups Uncle Ben’s Rice (original)

24 oz Jarred Grape Leaves

1. Wash grape leaves and blanch in boiling water for about 2 minutes.

2. Sauté onions in olive oil until soft. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about five minutes. *Place mixture in an Ice Bath to cool as rapidly as possible.

3. Cover bottom of pan with lemon slices.

4. Fill each leaf (shiny side down) with approx. 1T of mixture and roll. (Yields about 115 rolls.)

5. Place lemon slices between each layer of rolls as well as on top of the last layer.

6. Add water covering the bottom layer completely. Cover pan tightly and bake @ 350˚ for 1½ to 2 hours.

(Test after 1½ hours to see if leaves are tender.)

7. Allow rolls to cool with the lid in place or the rolls will darken in color

*This is critical in order for the grape leaves to have the proper firmness and consistency.

Steve...nice looking stuff. I've had those made by a friend''s mother several years ago and loved them. Never tried making them myself but I may very well have to look around to see if I can find grape leaves.

Not sure how but I managed to not long ago trying to make cabbage rolls. Think I just over cooked them prior to wrapping. Cannot remember the actual name but another friend's mom, who is Polish, made them and they were without doubt one of the best things I've ever eaten. I'd give anything to get hands on her recipe.

Robert

Thanks Robert!

Looks delicious. John cave me the recipe when he posted these and they have been on the short list ever since. A fav of me and the wife. Nice work bud

Steve H Steve H

Steve, not so bad for your first attempt.

You will get better at rolling the leaves with more practice. Try to keep them as tight as possible.

The Krinos leaves are a bit thin compared to the Pandora or Yergat so are harder to roll tightly.

If you can find Pandora or Yergat, stick with those.

Take care,

John

Reactions: TNJAKE and Steve H
I love dolma
You did pretty good rolling those ... numbers. If you want to repeat and not fat finger, you can find inexpensive rollers on Amazon.
I suck at rolling them, too.
Good recipe. I prefer a touch of greek oregano and garlic and way less salt.
I want to try a batch with a wild rice blend.

I love dolma
You did pretty good rolling those ... numbers. If you want to repeat and not fat finger, you can find inexpensive rollers on Amazon.
I suck at rolling them, too.
Good recipe. I prefer a touch of greek oregano and garlic and way less salt.
I want to try a batch with a wild rice blend.
I can roll them very well, and maybe it's simply because I've done too many, I still would rather stuff a rehydrated thin walled mild chile pepper. Lol. Cuts down on the amount of cayanne needed in the stuffing, and saves me a whole lot compared to those grape leaves. As well as being able to make them, whenever. Gotta love cuckoo rice cookers

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky