Doing my first turkey tomorrow on MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john3198

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 2, 2009
Houston, TX
I have been reading through posts on doing a turkey and I have decided to try one at 300F to get decent skin. Problem is that I just realized my MES will only go to 275F. Is that high enough to get good skin? If not, I can use another charcoal smoker where I can get the temp to 300 or higher. What do you all think?

Every so often brush the skin with olive oil as it cooks, not quite oven crisp but far from rubber either.

445524-21327579a2a6110bb4e2c5bf0069d499.jpg

Last edited:
Think that was 250 or 275 in my MES. I had a small bowl with olive oil in it and every so often, Id give it a coat of oil

Are you spatchcocking or doing whole? I find 275 spatchcocked gets the skin nice a crispy. For whole turkey's I've never done about 250 but brushed routinely the last couple hours with a butter/herb mixture or olive oil that is seasoned...and still came out crispy. You're gonna love it

I’ve cranked my PB to max and it comes out pretty well. Won’t be rubbery. Can always give it a short high temp finish in the oven.

Thanks guys. I have spached the bird. Will definitely do an oil/butter mop towards the end

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky