• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Dog bones

campfire218

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 9, 2016
We ordered a side of beef this year. The ribs they packaged are really too skinny to do anything with (except make broth out of) so I thought I'd use them as dog treats. Is there a process I need to follow? Dry them, cold smoke, etc? Hesitant to feed them raw because I don't want remnants left on the floor and furniture.

Attachments

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
interested in seeing responses you get, possibly getting a beef this year also

Ryan

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Do some research to satisfy yourself of the risks involving dogs and bones. All dogs are different and have different habits, but I only gave my dogs raw round, or long bones. Cooked bones don't have the nutrition a raw bone has, and cooked bones tend to splinter more often.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
^^^^^^This is my understanding as well. Look into it more, but I would think, just Refer Dry them to limit meat scrap/juices getting on furniture. My boys have gotten aCooked Beef Rib and Steak Bones, but we watch and take them away after the meat is removed...JJ

Chasdev

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Beef bone broth, period.
Roast them at 450 until they are dark brown, plop them in a pot with onions, garlic and celery and slowly simmer for 24 hours.

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Not a fan of giving our dogs bones. To many unforseen things could happen if not watching " constantly ". The huge knuckle bones maybe aren't quite as bad for splinters that can be swallowed and cause internal damage. Just our personal decision.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.